Tumble driers

Vented or Condensing? Condensing would be more convenient (vented would mean dropping the vent out of a window as we're in a flat), but I've had horrible experiences with condensors - my mum's Bosch has some kind of filter that needs to stripped and cleaned every month or so and it takes over an hour to dry a single shirt, whilst making the room it's in clammy. Are there any problems that can arise from having a tumble drier go up to get out of a window (condensation trickling back down perhaps?).

Less electricity used is nice, but I also want to be able to put the washer on overnight, get up in the morning and chuck clothes (ie, a shirt or a pair of trousers) into it for an hour and have them dry to go to work in.

Reply to
Doki

Using a tumble dryer through a window has the obvious problem of having to leave the window open. (Unless, of course, you have a lucky hole in the glass already waiting. Or make one.) So you get warm air going out/cold air coming in. Not a good idea in a cold winter - regardless of other issues.

I can't be the only one who feels that running a tumble dryer for an hour for one shirt is a bit on the wasteful side. How about buying an extra shirt and making yourself not so dependent upon drying one shirt?

Reply to
Rod

What about 14 shirts then do a full load every 14 days. That would leave 4 in reserve in case of emergencies or ironing/time restrictions.(assuming w/ends are not shirt days) :¬)

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Well - I didn't want to make too radical a suggestion. :-)

And tumble dryers don't work very well when underloaded - the warm/hot air tends to go straight past the load. Get the load just right and they work much better.

PS: What's an iron? (Actually have had to do the ironing since partner fell ill - not a huge amount, but what a tedious bore. Can't even start without switching on Radio 4.)

Reply to
Rod

I was in B&Q and spotted a display for what looks like a white box to fit on the end of the pipe coming from a dryer. The steam goes in to it and turns back to water. Make your own! A bucket and a few ice packs from the freezer and a cover on the top.

Reply to
Ian

Some decent shirts at George in Asda. Wash weekly - if not more infrequently. (clothes - not body)

Reply to
John

Having owned both types, to directly answer your question (though I totally agree with the views expressed earlier as to load size, buying a few shirts etc!!), I would favour the condensing sort for your situation. Yes, there is some ongoing maintentance to do, but it doesn't take very much time - empty the water container every few times you use it, clean the fluff filter (also necessary for non- condensing types), clean other filter - but that doesn't take long either, and only happens maybe 1 a month (depending on how often you use it of course). I used to have the other sort, and disposing of the moist air was a pain - we had to fit an extractor fan. Mike

Reply to
Mikeyboy

What's the pay-back time on a tumble dryer?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Jesus christ. It's always the bloody same on usenet. Ask one question, get an answer to another.

1) I plan on making a wooden baffle for the outlet to minimise drafts. I'd rather have drafts than damp, either way. 2) It's not something I plan on doing every day, but it is rather useful to be able to dry something in sub geological timescales.
Reply to
Doki

The only really decent shirt I own came from New & Lingwood. The Asda ones I've seen are s**te, and Next ones are good for the price.

Reply to
Doki

About 3 months or less. the care workers will not peg out the washing but they will put the washing in the tumble drier.. so it saves two visits a week at around £10 each to get a cleaner in to do it. (It costs around £10 ph to get someone in to clean dads house and peg out the washing..) Its a no brainer.

Reply to
dennis

Rod wrote on 07/09/2008 :

Womens Hour, perhaps?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Mikeyboy wrote on 07/09/2008 :

Our condensers (two so far) have always dumped the condensate straight in the drain. I recommend the condensing type, we have had no moisture issues in the room it runs in at all (utility room). Their predecessor, the none condensing type drier only, caused lots of moisture issues.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Nothing like the dulcets of Ms Murray. :-)

Reply to
Rod

Bleurch.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

We've had both and I'd definitely go for condensing again. Our current condensing unit has quite a big reservoir for the condensate but it is quite easy to empty. The filter is no problem either.

I've never liked the idea of using expensive electricity to warm up the air and then vent it outside!

Reply to
mick

You do need to check. Some "condensors" don't condense much at all - most of the moisture ends up in the room.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I'm surprised no-one mentioned this yet.... much better IME

meow2222