gas supply pipe above a fireplace

Around here, it's hard to find a fitter who has time to call around to advise: I hope I have more luck at the commissioning phase...
Please can anyone tell me how acceptable it is to run a gas supply pipe above a coal fireplace? This is by very far the shortest route to a planned boiler & cooker, both at ground floor level. I had thought of going up and through the ceiling, & then running along the joists, which would give plenty of space away from the fireplace; through a partition wall (solid stone at ground floor but lath, plaster etc above -I've got strong sleeving for this) -if running through first floors in this way isn't o.k., should I run the pipe below the ceiling level?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

Running a gas pipe up a wall into the ceiling is ok provided its in the corner and covered with a plastic sheild or wooden,but cannot be buried into the wall and plastered over. Heating installers do this,but i'd say it was for convenience on their part.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Thank you very much Your Lordship. There can't be many plumbers with such a pedigree?
-I'm not sure what you mean about the heating installers -are you saying they do what I'm planning to do or that they bury pipes in plaster? Anyway, I'll be putting the convenience in next...