Garage floor paint ?

Hi

About to move into yet another new house, its always been a problem that the concrete garage floor with new properties, however many times I sweep/wash them, shed white dust (which I promptly tread into my wifes new carpets).

I intended to paint the new garage floor with "floor paint" to avoid this problem, however my mate tells be to beware as he has used floor paint in his garage and finds that, especially when wet, the car suffers wheel spin getting into/out of the garage.

Anybody else confirm this ?

I have just bought 5L of PVA to try and seal the floor as an alternative to the paint.

TIA

Reply to
Dave

Sounds a bit odd to me. I can advise that car tyres will pull ordinary floor paint off, even with light use - I type from experience. There's a chemical reaction between the rubber and the paint apparently. Consider, instead, an epoxy-based paint, Crown

call it 'epimac'. I've no doubt that Dulux et al do similar.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Dave wrote: > About to move into yet another new house, its always been a problem > that the concrete garage floor with new properties, however many > times I sweep/wash them, shed white dust (which I promptly tread into > my wifes new carpets). >

Use International Paint "Liquid Lino". Your "mate" must have a heavy foot. I would not use PVA.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Blimey -- his "real" name's not Bruce Wayne is it? [1]

In 1992 I painted my garage floor with a proprietary Concrete Floor paint (can't remember the name or the maker, but I bought it in a reputable builder's merchant, and it cost me over 20 pounds then, which I thought was pretty jolly expensive).

I *also* bought and applied the recommended primer, which seals the concrete.

The floor is only _just_ beginning to show signs of wear, at parts where the car's weight sits (i.e. its tyres), and even then it's not consistent -- probably where I lost concentration, painting.

I poured the paint out of the tin in half-pints, then spread it out, then brushed it in properly, criss-cross fashion.

John

-- [1] For those even less cool than me: Batman.

Reply to
John

I used "garage floor paint" (proper stuff, the oil-resistant "garage" version, not just floor paint) bought from B&Q to paint on fresh concrete 4 years ago and it's still in excellent condition, the only damage is from where I've dropped large heavy lumps of metal which has also damaged the concrete surface below! I believe the brand I used was International, and I used 2 coats as reccomended and sealed prior with the reccomended concrete sealer. No problems from car tyres so far.

Alan.

Reply to
Alan Deane

Dave wrote in news:f60ba15mg93evdnu7bv9mf3cvoipcfs6q0@

4ax.com:

I have used Bourneseal on concrete. Many years ago, under instruction to do so. I was quite surprised at how effectively it did the job.

I would definitely not use PVA for this purpose.

Reply to
Rod

Thanks all for the info, I can go and get some stuff from B&Q then. I'm sure the instructions on the tin recomended sealing the floor with PVA prior to applying the paint ?, will have another look.

Thanks

Reply to
Dave

I use red International garage floor paint in my new house and its been fine. One thing, use the recommended primer first as this appears to penetrate the concrete (and allows the paint to bond better) as my neighbour did the same but no primer and suffers two problems, which my garage doesn't:-

- Loose areas where the paint hasn't adhered, leaving "dusty holes"

- Damaged areas produce dust.

If I was doing it again I would use the much more expensive (over £100 for my garage) 2 part epoxy stuff you pour/paint about 3mm thick but is much much more resistant to damage and available with grit in for grip.

Reply to
Ian_m

I suggest he gets better tyres, or a less heavy right foot. I use International garage floor paint in my factories as years of experience has demonstrated that it gives an excellent, hard wearing finish that will survive fork lift trucks. When starting on bare concrete, I use a wash of dilute hydrochloric acid first, well washed off, prime when it is dry, then paint.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar