Furniture stapler - where to buy?

I've just done some repairs inside the sofa and need to staple the straps and back on again - probably 100+ staples into hardish wood. The staples that came out were about 8mm wide and 12mm long.

What do I need to buy (or maybe hire) and where from?

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

I've got an electric Lidl one which cost not a lot. Try Ebay for similar - likely no more expensive than a decent hand one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Arrow T-50. Anywhere will have them, shop around for the cheapest. Always worth having, and always worth buying a real indestructible Arrow.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Yup. Had one for 20 years +.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Me too, but a cheap electric (screwfix?) has more oomph, and is definitely more friendly when you have a lot to do (e.g. tacking hardboard on old floorboards prior to putting vinyl in the bathroom).

Reply to
newshound

Not sure if mine's a T-50 or not, but it's pretty hefty. Any staples which happen to not go all the way in can usually be clobbered with a bit hammer to drive them home without mangling them.

Oh, I chopped up an old 3-seater sofa recently, making a 2-seater bench and armchair from it for the kids' rooms - some of the staples in that were 1/2" wide and over an inch long; I'm not sure if anything "DIY" could easily deal with those (they were made from pretty soft metal, so would bend too easily if I tred to hammer them in). Drilling small pilot holes worked, but they must have had some big ol' machine at the factory to do it without.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Indeed. The going price for the Arrow seems to be about 25 quid. My Lidl electric one cost less and works very well.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I recently bought my third in 25 years. Nothing wrong with the first two, they just sprouted legs...

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Thanks for all the replies. I decided the wood would be a bit tough for a manual stapler so went for the Tacwise 140EL from Screwfix and got them to knock a fiver off to price-match Argos. It's doing the job well, but if only the power cord was half a metre longer!

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam