Fridge/freezer packed up apart from the inside light.

My fridge/freezer packed up last week. Zanussi ZFC. 61/27 It is about

10 years old. The freezer door was not closed properly for at least one day (It happened many times before). The day just before it broke it the compressor sounded different. It was louder than usual. It never made any sound since.

After disconnecting the compressor, I found that there is 240V going in to the 3 pins of the compressor. I tested the stat switch by turning it to Zero (off). At this point the indoor fridge light goes off and the voltage going in to the compressor pins drops to zero. That means the stat is working as far as I know.

But when I tested the above with the compressor connected. The voltages across it drops to zero. It is making no sound at all.

If it was a coolant leak, will the compressor still work?

If there was no leak, could it be jammed or the whole thing is finished ?

Any comments welcome. Thank you in advance.

Reply to
john smile

Buy a new fridge

Reply to
TMC

sounds like the motor has died..or some fusible link has fused..trace back from the motor towards the mains plug.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher