Another fridge failure

Larder Fridge Beko LS620, purchased 2012

2013 Temperature totally erratic - thermostat changed under warranty

- now OK

2015 Would not cool - I tested and changed thermostat - now OK Last week Would not switch off, temp down to 1 degree. Thermostat checked - failed. New one ordered.

Spent a day switching manually on and off to keep temperature around 5 degrees.

Moved fridge to make access easier to fiet new trhermostat when it arrives. OK for several hours went out for a while, temp down to 2 degrees, on return - switch off for a few hours.

Switched on again - would not cool. Have tried intermittently over last two days.

Symptoms: compressor running taking initially 2A, dropping to 0.28A after a few seconds. Usual gurgling noises. After 5 mins pipe to fridge is 3 degrees below ambient, pipe to condenser is about 3 degrees above.

After 30 mins 'cool' pipe is close to ambient. Compressor body at 44 degrees, condenser warm at top only, rest at ambient.

I feel a fridge should last more than five years. Its predecessor was

23 years old when I got rid of it - mainly as the door seals were poor and the cooling cycles were getting longer and a Class A replacement seemed sensible.

Seems like refrigerant has gone, but I sure I didn't knock anything when I moved it .

TIA

Graham

Reply to
Graham C

It is a pity that changing a compressor is not really a DIY job. Our previous Samsung fridge lasted about 13 years. There was a Samsung repair man, but he just wanted to charge a call out fee and would not quote a price for a specified fault. I did find someone who could fit a compressor if I bought it but he wanted £250 an the part was about £180.

Reply to
Michael Chare

I can't find the Beko LS620 on Google. Is it frost free?

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I think Graham is confusing his smart phone with his fridge, either that or LG make fridges?

Reply to
Fredxxx

You have to watch these Turkish Fridges obviously. Sounds to me like you got the old Lemon. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Do you think the problem is the refrigerant used these days being more likely to corrode seals? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Actually they do, or rather they brand them as LG, probably made by somebody else. I did not think they sold them in the UK though. I have the rather naffly named Fridgemaster one and the back is completely enclosed so one cannot knock anything when moving it. Its been fine for 10 years now, though the little interior light does make a nasty spike of interference as thedoor opens and closes.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

We have had an LG fridge freezer for some years now with twin opening doors to the upper fridge compartment and 3 seperate freezer drawers below.

For the sighted this model

now superceded. A couple of other manufactures now do something similar but at the time of purchase the double narrow doors of the fridge compartment were a rare feature. By requiring less of a swinging area than a large single door it means you can access it and stand close and not block passage for others in a our relatively narrow kitchen so were able to have a large size fridge freezer than before. And opening one half just get to get the milk out lets less cold air go to waste than doing the same with a single larger door.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Sorry guys, dyslexia rules KO

It's a Beko LA 620

Reply to
Graham C

Did you clamp the end of the stat capillary to the evaporator/cold plate?

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Haven't touched anything apart from removing the stat and shorting the wires (which is effectively what was happening anyway.. This kept the compressor running.

I tested the fridge thermostat in the freezer. It still said 'cooling required' when at -30 deg.

Now looking for a replacement fridge. As I suspected a minefield.

Reply to
Graham C