Fridge temperatures???

I have a 2008 model Kenmore refrigerator with top freezer.

I have no experience with these newfangled high-deficiency R134a units.

I noticed that my ice cream was softer than usual. Freezer temp was 23F, Fridge at 45F.

I made some temperature measurements and am getting confusing results.

The system seems to be cycling on/off normally.

Air blowing into the freezer compartment is -3F. That seems high for a system that should run near zero in the freezer compartment.

The condenser fan is running and the coils are free of dust. The temperature of the pipe leading from the compressor to the condenser is at 87F. That seems low??? Temperature of the pipe into the compressor is 57F. That seems high??? How can that be significantly higher than the fridge inside temperature?

Ambient is 55F in the kitchen...no I don't heat it and 61F behind the fridge when it's running.

The drip pan for the defrost water has a thin coat of dust and no evidence that there's ever been any water in it. I had similar problems with the old fridge when the defrost timer quit and the evaporator froze up. The small part of the evaporator that I can see shows a thin coating of frost, but no evidence that it's blocked with ice. I can see the pipe that exits the evaporator and it has frost on it. But by the time it travels down 5 feet back to the compressor it's up to 57F.

The only thing that's changed recently is that I replaced the microwave oven with one drawing twice the power on the same circuit as the fridge. Can't imagine that caused anything.

I turned down the thermostat. Too early to tell, but it seems to be colder inside.

The temperatures in/out of the compressor seem to be off???? If the compressor is not running continuously, the inside temps should not have changed???

Anything else I should check before calling service? Or am I just worrying too much???

Thanks, mike

Reply to
mike

In news:ikhe91$vpf$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org, mike typed: :: Fridge temperatures??? :: :: I have a 2008 model Kenmore refrigerator with top :: freezer. :: :: I have no experience with these newfangled high-deficiency :: R134a units.

Research it online; lots of info available.

:: :: I noticed that my ice cream was softer than usual. :: Freezer temp was 23F, Fridge at 45F.

Should be 0 and 40 respectively. So you're not far off. :: :: I made some temperature measurements and am getting :: confusing results. ::

It's the temp coming OUT of the compressor that matters, plus all the fans etc. working right along with bulb switches. A special thermometer to measure the temps is very cheap; last one I bought was $4.99 and when compared to another thermometer, was dead-on accuracy, unusual in those things but they're always close enough for in home use.

:: :: I turned down the thermostat. Too early to tell, but it :: seems to be colder inside. :: :: The temperatures in/out of the compressor seem to be :: off???? :: If the compressor is not running continuously, the inside :: temps should not have changed???

If compressor not running, inside temps should be very slowly rising; insulation is far from perfect - it HAS to run when it warms up enough!

:: :: Anything else I should check before calling service?

Yeah, finish adjusting the temperature; you aren't that far off! Exp if it's going to cost you a service call.

HTH,

Twayne`

: Or am I just worrying too much??? :: :: Thanks, mike

Freezer: 0 degrees F. Refrigerator: above freezing; usually abt 40f. Often the fridge thermostat affects the freezer, so get it to temp first unless the freezer is much above 0; then try both to get started.

Forget that other crap; just get the insides to the right temps. If you can't THEN you need help.

Reply to
Twayne

Well, "LOTS" is the problem. Signal to noise ratio on the web is nearly zero. Not knowing the keywords to search, you didn't help there either, gets you a zillion hits of irrelevant garbage. Got any links that apply to my specific questions that you so carefully snipped?

23 degrees is not far off????

Ok, so what should be the temp be OUT of the compressor. Mine is 87F...thanks for snipping relevant content...GRRR! , plus all the fans

YES, all good, thanks for snipping relevant content.

Special in what way? I'm sure you could be more obtuse if you tried.

I used a thermocouple taped to the pipe, as the pipe was too small to get a good read with the IR thermometer. last one I

I'm sure you could be more obtuse if you tried. That $4.99 was a dead give away. I'll google for "$4.99" I'm pleased to learn that your unspecified thermometer was dead-on compared to your other unspecified thermometer.

It's called planning. Inside temps have changed without provocation in a short period of time. Info about various system temperatures might be a clue that things are normal or that something is going south. Waiting for it to fail completely on a long holiday weekend is not optimal.

Maybe someone will read the Original post that you didn't snip and have input as to whether my temperature readings disclose anything about the health of the system.

Reply to
mike

All the units under 20 years of age depend on air flow to work. Cold air from the freezer is moved by a small fan to the Fridge portion. Most units have more than one port for the flow.

If this is a new problem as indicated, I would check to make sure I had not placed something in the freezer or Fridge portion than impeded the air flow. Start from Normal/Normal setting for both once you have checked the airflow and adjust only one control every 12 hours or so until you have a freezer temp you like and a Fridge temp of about 40 degrees.

Measuring the temps anyway other than with a freezer or fridge thermometer is a waste of your time. You can buy both at the BORG for a few dollars each. Mid point of the freezer and the Fridge at the best location for the thermometer.

Reply to
Colbyt

I'd like to understand what's so special about a freezer or fridge thermometer. What is it about my digital readout thermocouple meter that makes it unsuitable?? Water around here is pretty pure...and it freezes at approximately

32F according to my meter.

You can buy both at the BORG for a few dollars

Reply to
mike

"mike" wrote

Be sure the evaporator fan is running properly and you are getting the right air flow.

I've read, but have no proof, that too cold of an ambient air can cause a refrigerator to not cool properly. If there is any truth to that, you'd need a good AC guy to explain it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You need to measure the "product temperature" not the air temperature.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

Hey spammed, it's amazing how silly you can be. If it makes the temps needed, no other measurements are needed. If it can't, then it needs to be repaired/replaced. From the way you talk, it could even be that the compressor is worn out from the machine not being level as in way off from level. If you don't know what a "special" thermometer for the freezer/refrigerator is, you're very short in imaginaton. It simply has ranges marked for freezer and for refrigerator temps. And no, I'm not going to get you a bunch of links; you can do that on your own. Because you don't know how to use a search engine and not get a gazillion hits, all you need to do is read a bit and learn how to use their features. Nothing is owed to you and any help you get here is from people trying to assist you. If you're ignorant enough to not realize that and ask clarifying questions if needed, that's your problem. I had a feeling you were trolling and now i'm sure of it so I'll have nothing further to do with you.

In news:ikhir4$l5g$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org, mike typed: :: Twayne wrote: ::: In news:ikhe91$vpf$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org, ::: mike typed: ::::: Fridge temperatures??? ::::: ::::: I have a 2008 model Kenmore refrigerator with top ::::: freezer. ::::: ::::: I have no experience with these newfangled ::::: high-deficiency R134a units. ::: ::: Research it online; lots of info available. :: :: Well, "LOTS" is the problem. Signal to noise ratio on the :: web is nearly zero. Not knowing the keywords to search, :: you didn't help there either, gets you a zillion hits of :: irrelevant garbage. Got any links that apply to my :: specific :: questions that you so carefully snipped? ::: ::::: ::::: I noticed that my ice cream was softer than usual. ::::: Freezer temp was 23F, Fridge at 45F. ::: ::: Should be 0 and 40 respectively. So you're not far off. :: :: 23 degrees is not far off???? ::::: ::::: I made some temperature measurements and am getting ::::: confusing results. ::::: ::: ::: ::: ::: It's the temp coming OUT of the compressor that matters :: :: Ok, so what should be the temp be OUT of the compressor. :: Mine is 87F...thanks for snipping relevant content...GRRR! :: , plus all the fans ::: etc. working right along with bulb switches. :: YES, all good, thanks for snipping relevant content. :: ::: A special thermometer to measure the temps is very ::: cheap; :: :: Special in what way? :: I'm sure you could be more obtuse if you tried. :: :: I used a thermocouple taped to the pipe, as the pipe :: was too small to get a good read with the IR thermometer. :: last one I ::: bought was $4.99 and when compared to another ::: thermometer, was dead-on accuracy, unusual in those ::: things but they're always close enough for in home use. :: :: I'm sure you could be more obtuse if you tried. That :: $4.99 was a dead give away. :: I'll google for "$4.99" :: I'm pleased to learn that your unspecified thermometer was :: dead-on compared to your other unspecified thermometer. ::: ::: ::: ... ::: ::::: ::::: I turned down the thermostat. Too early to tell, but it ::::: seems to be colder inside. ::::: ::::: The temperatures in/out of the compressor seem to be ::::: off???? ::::: If the compressor is not running continuously, the ::::: inside temps should not have changed??? ::: ::: If compressor not running, inside temps should be very ::: slowly rising; insulation is far from perfect - it HAS to ::: run when it warms up enough! ::: ::::: ::::: Anything else I should check before calling service? ::: ::: Yeah, finish adjusting the temperature; you aren't that ::: far off! Exp if it's going to cost you a service call. :: :: It's called planning. Inside temps have changed without :: provocation in :: a short period of time. :: Info about various system temperatures might be a clue :: that things are normal or that something is going south. :: Waiting for it to fail completely on a long holiday :: weekend is not optimal. :: :: Maybe someone will read the Original post that you didn't :: snip and have input :: as to whether my temperature readings disclose anything :: about the health of the system. :: ::: ::: HTH, ::: ::: Twayne` ::: ::: :::: Or am I just worrying too much??? ::::: ::::: Thanks, mike ::: ::: Freezer: 0 degrees F. ::: Refrigerator: above freezing; usually abt 40f. ::: Often the fridge thermostat affects the freezer, so get ::: it to temp first unless the freezer is much above 0; then ::: try both to get started. ::: ::: Forget that other crap; just get the insides to the right ::: temps. If you can't THEN you need help.

Reply to
Twayne