Government grants for solar panels

Not.

"[WASHINGTON, D.C.] Dozens of District residents who installed solar panels on their homes under a government grant program promoting renewable energy have been told they will not be reimbursed thousands of dollars as promised because the funds were diverted to help close a citywide budget gap. "

HeyBub

Did you expect anything else?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:ikio63 $1bs$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

It's all for the children. You should appreciate that! .

Reply to
Han

The way I read the article is that the government takes money from others, promises to reimburse you for a perceived social good, then reneges on the promise so they can give the money to those that have an immediate need.

Presumably, the discussion on resource allocation involved this conversation stopper: "Obviously those that can afford $12,000 for solar collectors don't need the money..."

But it's not all bad. There's the emotional high experienced by those who did what they could to save the environment. That's gotta mitigate the downside of a twelve-grand hit.

Reply to
HeyBub

It is exactly American. We vote for the people who make those laws. If you don't like them, vote for someone else. Sometimes the rights of society as a whole trump the rights of individuals. I think Jesus would agree, no?

Reply to
dgk

At the last clause you misspelled "gave a bigger campaign contribution." Easy mistake to make.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Nothing unusual there, lots of states who have promised rebates dont have the money to pay. I wonder how many people would not have them put in if they knew their promised rebates weren't worth the paper they were written on. You would think that if a state owed one of its citizens money that the easiest way to pay it off would be to let them deduct it from their income tax. Ha Ha, that doesn't happen either.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

It was the same deal here in Florida. There are lots of people who are still waiting for thousands of dollars that are not coming.

Reply to
gfretwell

That's you.

One can be active in the party of choice. As such, you have a say in who the candidate will be, his platform, policies, and promises.

You can contribute, time or treasure to the person of choice long before the primary.

Reply to
HeyBub

[...]

Hey, man, that's the tip of the iceberg! The government takes money from you "by threat of force" and uses it to build fast,safe highways; supply clean, safe drinking water; provide safety lighting for citiesorganize police to keep your home and family safe; compel food processors and packers to list ingredients on packages to ensure safe food supply for you and your family; create old age guarantees against sickness and poverty -- man, we could go on for pages, listing what that bad ole' government does -- stuff the rest of us take for granted as part of civilized society.

Bet you wish you could unilaterally prevent the government from taking YOUR money from you "by threat of force". Then you could handle all of the above and much, much more, all by your widdle self! Hint: Lay in plenty of ammo.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Government takes money from you "by threat of force"

build fast,safe highways; supply clean, safe drinking water; provide safety lighting for cities

organize police to keep your home and family safe

compel food processors and packers to list ingredients on packages to ensure safe food supply for you and your family

create old age guarantees against sickness and poverty

I love my Liberal friends, even though they live in LaLa land, have no clue and are blind as to what those they worship are really all about.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

There was a rather interesting study about 15 years. It pointed out that PBS had more than one station in many areas and that it had more affiliates than any non-governmental network. They thought that if you sold off the extra channels you could set up a trust fund that would replace the Fed contribution.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

If you had the money to blow on solar panels, you didn't need it in the first place. The teachers union had a more immediate need.

Right, but the NEA does.

Right, and buy a Volt, while you're on the high.

Reply to
krw

Wouldn't want the guy who you threw your vote away on to actually WIN, now would you?

Why not just take off that day?

Reply to
krw

I think we have the oldest public television network here in Alabamastan. They're always running fund raising telethons and people do donate lots of money. The local programming doesn't seem to be as Left leaning as the programming from the more Leftist state's educational institutions. I've seen programming coming out of places like Boston that's really from out there in La La Land. :-(

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas