Solar Panels

With the current buyback offers, the sales folk make solar power microgeneration a contender for you cash and having seen a few houses have panels fitted it makes me wonder are they going into it blind?

A typical 2Kw array on a test house in Dundee Scotland is at

and displays live data from their panels yet as of 09:18 today it is generating all of 100.66 watts.

At that sort of generation rate they will never pay for themselves. Anyone got such a system either DIY or pro installed and can comment factually on their payback / practicality of the system?

Gio

Reply to
Gio

Look into it properly. The payback period for a suitably sited array (un-obscured and south facing elevated at 30-45 degrees) is around 8-10 years provided the installer you choose does not rip you off. You cannot DIY and claim the feed in tariff - in must be installed by an MCS approved contractor to qualify. The feed in tariff is typically 4 x the retail price of the electricity which is the ONLY thing that makes it viable.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

And the cost of this huge subsidy (which adds nothing to the well-being of mankind) is added onto the electricity bills of OAPs like me.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Yes I agree Dave - life is not fair but opportunities are there to be taken.

Bob - another pensioner

Reply to
Bob Minchin

When you get to be an OAP, 14 years to recoup the outlay can seem a bit optimistic.

Reply to
Harry Stottle

If the capital cost/output capability of a solar system means the payback is 14 years then it is either overpriced or the site is unsuitable. 8-10 years is typical payback period ignoring the ravages of inflation on your capital which makes it shorter still. Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Opportunities like loan sharking and wheel clamping?

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave