Laminate flooring and skirting boards

I know this has been asked before but let's try a more recent post.

My B inlaw has just had some quality laminate installed professionally. Both he and i have fitted laminate ourselves in the past and don't like the beading.

Bow in his new place, he has had the kitchen hallway, dining room and study done. it all flows nicely between rooms and no door way dividers. looks class but it was ~=A33k i think incl fitting. 3 guys in

2 days i think.

The fitters cut the skirting in situ and slid the laminate under where they could. Where this was not possible (ie edges and corners where final pieces were laid) they fitted very small discrete beading. And the beading is white to match the skirting rather than brown to match the flooring (this looks better as the beading edge is longer on the vertical than on the horizontal).

Anyways....i want a similar quality finish but at less cost :-)

I have read conflicting stories about removing/refitting skirting, and although I am in a modern house (~10yrs) i don't really want to risk the carnage i may cause.

So..i would prefer to take the route my b-i-l's fitters did, and that is to cut the skirting approx 10mm up from the bottom. Someone must have a proven approach for this? Please let me (us) know!

Reply to
mark.cashen

[...]

no such thing.

he could have had a proper wooden floor for that.

Carnage is not likely. All that you need to do is to score along the top of the skirting where it meets the wall with a utility knife and then gently prize it away.

Seems an unecessarily complicated way to achieve a poor result. Far better to do it properly and remove and refit the skirting.

Reply to
Andy Hall

As Andy said it foesn't have to cause carnage.

I suppose its possible with one of these

easier to renove the skirting.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

probably blunt the blade when it hit the plaster.

Reply to
Stuart Noble