four fecking wheely bins.....

Just had the food and garden waste bin not collected again today due to passers bye horsing in their coffee cups etc ....as the bin has to lie out front all day waiting for collection is there any way of stopping deposits?.....

Reply to
James Stewart

Put a padlock though the rim?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Inform the Council of the problem. You can't be the first person this has happened to. It's up to them to either instruct the contractor to exempt bins on your property from the usual scrutiny, or to offer you an alternative solution.

Around here bins are supposed to be left just inside the boundary of the property. However this meant they didn't get emptied and rather than complain it became the accepted practice to leave them on the street.

Possibly your Council may try and slide out of it by claiming that if the bins were left where they told you to leave them inside your boundary ( * where they'd most likely be ignored) then people wouldn't be dumping stuff in them.

michael adams

  • Depending on how evasive they are, as a last resort you may need CCTV footage of this.
Reply to
michael adams

No lots of people have this problem. and the council know about it but how do you stop it? the real only way is a technical solution like some kind of lock that only the owner and the contractor can operate, maybe some kind of solar powered proximity system. Idiots and towrags exist everywhere. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

And how does the bin man open it?

Don't be silly. Luckily I have to have assisted collection so I keep mine inside the garden and only the bravest of dumpers then contaminate it. The worst ones are those who tip dog poo in them.

Might I suggest a fake camera somewhere? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes curtilage collection. The council do not seem to realise what a hazard bins strewn over the footways and roads are to disabled and blind people. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Around here, the hire bikes that litter the pavements almost anywhere and everywhere, presumably represent a far greater hazard.

Previously the "Boris Bikes" which were sponsored by Barclaycard could only be left and collected from designated docking stations. And weren't so numerous.

Now certain areas of London have been flooded with "Mobikes"* and "Ebikes" which can left anywhere within that zone. Mobike employees are supposed to relocate them but don't.

They're a constant source of complaint on local websites, but until your post, the clear hazard they represent to blind and partially sighted people - which is obvious when you think about it - had never actually ocurred to me or any of the participants in any of the discussions I've read.

You might imagine they'd be outlawed, rather than encouraged by Councils on those grounds alone. Except that the current totally unrealistic infatuation with the bicycle as a transport solution appears to trump everything else.

michael adams

  • Owned by some Chinese outfit. Evidently the bikes also generate a lot of useful data which can be put to various uses.
Reply to
michael adams

You give them the combination. ;-)

<snip>

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

any way that stops deposits stops emptying.

great way to get prosecuted for not sorting your rubbish

not an option

which will be take it to the dump or don't buy any food with wasteable bits on

Reply to
tabbypurr

A lock with a timer set to open whe the bin lorry is due ?

Reply to
fred

The bins at our village hall have a special key. The bin men have one too. (this is a private waste diposal company)

Reply to
charles

The councils (and other utilities) often have / share many keys but unless they had a master key for our bin and we only had the specific key for our own bins, I'm not sure that would work either.

This scenario could be one of those issues where the harm isn't being done by bad people, just stupid / inconsiderate people trying to help.

Someone putting a plastic bottle in the green bin and then you inadvertently put your green waste on top potentially pollutes said green waste, as it would with the cardboard (unless already mixed etc).

But when you see how poorly many people mange their recycling it's no wonder the passers by trying to dispose of their waste better than just chucking it on the ground, I guess none of this is surprising.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

no use round here - any time beteen 0730 and 1630.

Reply to
charles

I just horsed out all the crap that had been added out onto the street ........

Reply to
James Stewart

That sounds painful, I've heard of genital piercings but......

But if you do that how will the binmen open the bin to empty it ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

Being an arse does not cancel out other people's arsieness.

Reply to
Halmyre

Ignoring the obvious arseiness, there is some logic to it.

If the perp hadn't put the stuff in *someone else's* bin they would more likely just throw it on the ground and so that's where it would have been anyway.

However, people have been 'done for littering by finding say a bit of paper stuck on their shoe when they got in their car and putting it back where it came from, the street.

If that was allowed then the problem is that then all those people without any sense of citizenship would discard all their small bits of waste that way. ;-(

I wonder what those people who regularly just drop anything they don't want on the street would think about having to wade though loads of the same waste outside *their* front door?

Maybe they wouldn't care so we (those who would) can make up some signs saying so and put them on their front doors. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m