Maximum multi gang plug available

Hi all

Our TV is mounted on a fake wall with a cupboard behind. We have loads of devices under the TV which is currently powered off a few 4 gang extension leads. I was hoping to tidy this lot up by fitting a bunch of normal surface mounted sockets. Searching for a many gang socket eg 6 or 8 (ideally more) only brings up extension leads. Anyone have any idea for a good solution to this problem ?

Thanks

Lee.

Reply to
leenowell

How about a rackmount style PDU? :

You can have upto 12 13A sockets on one.

You can also get IEC C13 sockets on them if you want something more compact:

John Rumm

John Rumm snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.null wrote in news:CN- snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

The annoying thing is that a 13 amp plug is a massive overkill for th esmall current these devices need.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

On 21:33 29 Jan 2019, John Rumm snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.null wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

What about those tower mains extensions?

Like this:

I imagine the upper mains leads would snake through the air unless carefully placed or bound.

Reply to
Pamela

  1. Mount double sockets in a row
  2. Use an 8 or more way extension lead, or assemle one
  3. Some leads can be fitted 2 to a plug. more:

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

on 29/01/2019, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk supposed :

Why not just fix a multi-outlet extension on the wall, behind the TV? Most seem to have keyhole slots on the rear, to hook onto screws and it wouldn't look much worse than proper wall mounted outlets.

Our living room TV is wall mounted in a corner, with a large stone unit below it, topped with removable panels. There are no wall sockets in that corner of the unit, so I arranged a long 13 amp extension, with a

6-way outlet on the end, from the far end of the unit. Various power and all the other cables drop down the rear of the TV, into the unit and all looks tidy, including a antenna distribution hidden down there, feeding 6 coax to most rooms in the rest of the house.
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Agreed - I've been tempted to change mine for both PC area and AV area but that makes for difficult moving of one item to another room and for taking out for testing, although a simple lead to convert from 13A to $plug would be OK for testing.

Reply to
PeterC

In my 'workshop' I have a 12 way extension bar - wall mounted.

Reply to
charles

When I was looking around Machine Mart (spit)[1] did some of the longer mains extension blocks. I mean with usable plugs as some multi-way extensions are arrange so that plugging in an oversize wall wart into one socket may make another 1 to 3 sockets unusable.

8 way
12 way
From Amazon
Also available from CPC etc. [1] As mentioned on this group Machine Mart seem to have had an (illegal?) policy of only issuing short lived credit notes for returned faulty goods.
Reply to
alan_m

Are 20 sockets enough?

or 8 way, conventional single sockets, hard wired

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

£210. You could assemble one for a tenner.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Can you take the leads through one or two holes in the fake wall into the cupboard where tidiness isnt so important. There are hole covers designed for use on desks and worktops which could be used on the wall.

Reply to
Robert

I ended up changing the lot to IEC. The footprint of the sockets being much smaller - and you can either buy or make a panel with as many as you want. But not something you'll likely want to do. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

not so easy for Wallworts that have an integral 13 A plug

Reply to
charles

Very true - and increasing amounts of stuff comes with a wall wart instead of an internal PS. Was surprised to find my new Humax PVR did. It is smaller than the old one - but so what?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Wall warts can be used on multiple products, and only need type approval once.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Thanks very much all. Great feedback. Looks like a form of extension lead is the answer. Was a little concerned about power consumption with a 13a socket and so many devices (TBH haven't calculated the total usage so was more of a worry than fact).

A few of you have suggested making one. Do you mean buy the bit you plug all of the devices into and wire it to a plug myself or is there another avenue I have missed ?

Thanks

Lee.

Reply to
leenowell

It means they don't have to certify the box for mains voltage and they can buy in the external power supply. Probably significantly reducing the price of the box with respect to their competitors.

Reply to
alan_m

I have five double sockets screwed to a plank of wood.

You could also use a length of dado trunking with end caps.

You can also get stuff like this

Still a bit spendy though.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

You can do that with a "power brick" like my laptop. Or a PS plugged into the back of the appliance, like my printer.

Reply to
Max Demian