For those who like watching things crash

russian satellite (that must have been sabotaged, because Russians simply dont make cockups), in real time orbit over - well as I write the Japan sea give or take, at its apogee.

Perigee is around Chile somewhere, where its expected to lose all resemblance to functionality and make a nice bang sometime this evening.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"The page you are looking for is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later."

Reply to
Andy Burns

still working fer me!

Its over the south atlantic NE of patagonia..should be over S africa shortly..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's currently coming down at about 1/100 of a mile every second, or 36 MPH. It's currently 80 miles high, so it can't last long, even if the decent was linear (which it won't be), although the orbit may not be circular, so the 36 MPH may be an incorrect estimte over the whole orbit.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

OK, orbit not circular - it's now rising at almost the same rate it was falling.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

assuming its the phobos-grunt Ive just watched it cross aral sea bt its altitude appaers to be increasing !!! started at 85miles now at 87 miles must be interpretingthe read out wrong I guess going over mongolia at 87.6 miles altitude ???

Reply to
Ghostrecon

elliptical orbit ?

Reply to
Ghostrecon

Possibly, over South America as I write this at 85 miles high decreasing ..

Reply to
Paul - xxx

back over south america at 5:48 and still at 84 miles altitude ....

Reply to
Ghostrecon

Dot be fooled. Its orbit is not at constant altitude. It goes up as well as down.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

USA and Russia both reporting it's down now ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

site still shows it as flapping over the pacific..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yeah: bit of a disappointment that. I had presumed that it was a real-time tracker like planefinder or shipfinder but I suppose, since satellites normally tend to plod on their weary way with boring precision, that it's just a bit of calculating code. Except for incidents like this one, you wouldn't really need more, would you?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

well its now over the atlantic at 76 miles atidude according to the site hehe

Reply to
Ghostrecon

News reports say it went into the Pacific off Chile.

At the time of writing that web site has it still up there...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Appears it will pass over southern England soon (I write this at 10am. Monday.)

Reply to
CWatters

Apparently it has crashed into the Pacific between NZ and SAmerica.

Hugh

Reply to
Hugh Newbury

Does it bounce that much?

Reply to
dennis

If they have found it, no trace in the public media as of Friday am! Lyn

Reply to
Lyndsay

No interest unless it was captured flaring and dying or the bits hit something interesting. If it came down over open ocean, the newsdesks shrug and forget it.

Reply to
grimly4