For all you electric car fans.

Dave Plowman (News)

Er...that's been posted here a while ago. Still worth watching though..

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I missed it so 'thanks'. ;-)

Coincidentally I was chatting to a cousin (on the IOW) who has rented his roof out for solar panels and has a Tesla battery box of some sort that is currently failing to get any charge as what little PV there is atm is going into the house (so none for us on the grid either). He was also talking on getting an electric car but considering his panels can't charge the batteries now ... ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ah - sorry. Must have missed it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I imagine Harry's in a similar position, although I don't think he's got a Tesla battery (IIRC they call it a Powerwall, a few kWh capacity).

Reply to
Chris Hogg

he must be a stay at home then

as anybody who is out at work is going to see their daytime leccy "wasted"

tim

Reply to
tim...

Might be needed to keep the CH boiler running.

Reply to
charles

I've since spoken to him further and isn't a Tesla battery but some other brand (my bad).

I think he's got 10kW worth of PV and 8 (2 x 4) kWh's worth of battery (or the other way round). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yup, it's called 'retired' and looking after an elderly Dad. ;-)

Yup, and considering he doesn't get the FIT theft, it would be wasted to him (and sold to us at over the commercial odds etc).

But that's where the batteries are supposed to kick in, if he was out all day.

I think he's in dispute with the battery supplier so watch this space ...

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I think there is some strange setup where he doesn't get any power (even off his own batteries) in the event of a power cut?

He still also has the fridge / freezer and other small bits that are probably left on 24/7 (router etc) so not all would be wasted as such.

I think he said the PV panels put 3kW into the batteries today but it was all used up very quickly.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

No I don't have a battery. The economics just don't add up. (Anywhere near).

I have 8Kw of PV and an electric car. As I am retired,I can charge the car up from the PV almost entirely in Summer. (Charger is 2Kw)

Battery in car is 16Kwh but never run to depletion and rarely run to more than half depleted.

Reply to
harry