Foam brush to apply gloss?

I want to try and get a really good glosh finish on my woodwork after all the prep I have put into it and was wondering if anyone had tried the foam brushes (axminster and decoratingdirect do them) that you can get to apply stains and varnishes? If you did were you happy with the results?

I will be using an oil based gloss, maybe slightly thinned with white spirit.

Cheers

EC

Reply to
Eric Cartman

foam brushes are good with acrylic paints and stains but useless on spirit or oil based paints

Reply to
Andy Milner

can confirm that they are indeed excellent... just make sure you get the ones from axminster that are rated for oil based products.

IanJH

Reply to
IanJH

Thanks guys.

Will order some axminster foam brushes, lay on with roller and lay off with the foam brush. See how it turns out.

EC

Reply to
Eric Cartman

I've used foam brushes to apply polyurethane two-pack paint. It's a good way to get a high quality finish. As others have said watch out for the type of brush because some foams disintegrate on contact with the solvents in gloss finishes.

I've found the best (and the cheapest by far) to be the brushes sold in chandlers. Just a few pence per brush and available in sizes from 1/2" up to 4". It takes a little time to get over the naff appearance of these cheap brushes - a lolly stick wedged into a bit of foam - but they work well.

Reply to
Steve Firth