Best Exterior Gloss?

I'm about to paint my exterior woodwork. It's not in back nick - but the paint on some of the openers is cracked. They're 1910's window frames, south facing so get loads of sun / wind. A few questions:

  1. What brand of paint would you recommend? Which recommends Hicksons or Johnstone's Stormshield ... however they didn't include Dulux. I guess I'm most interested in durability rather than say, appearance or ease of use. (It's not a job I want to re-do for as long as possible).

  1. They're currently a horrible baby blue & I want to paint them white. I'm wondering if I'm really going to need to strip all of the old paint or can make do with sanding? Does it make much of a difference if it's microporous paint.

Any other top tips would be welcome -

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
michaeld121

I use AKZO with good results - but the real secret of paint longevity is the preparation.

Use the following method and you should get good results:

1 Wash and rub down the paintwork to remove flaking paint and expose any defects such as rot. 2 Repair any defects in the woodwork and window putties. 3 Spot prime any bare and new woodwork and filler [1] (use *oil* *based* primer and not acrylic primer/undercoat). 4 Rub down and apply two coats of undercoat (*oil* *based*), rubbing down between each coat. 5 Apply two coats of gloss paint (again oil based), rubbing down between coats.

If you take your time and diligently prepare the surfaces and paint only in dry weather, then you should get at least a five year life on the paintwork in most areas (coastal areas causing some problems) - *AND* avoid using acrylic or water based paints like the plague for external works.

[1] Use something like a Timbafil
for filling holes and cracks.

"Does it make much of a difference if it's microporous paint"

Have a read of this article and see what you think of the stuff. Personally I prefer the method that I have used for a long as I can remember for outside work.

(or a shorter link)
the best

BRG

Reply to
BRG

Hmmm - I hadn't seen that before about microporous paint. Is that a fairly generally held view or does anyone know if, 2 1/2 years since it was written, it's been proved one way or the other?

Michael

Reply to
michaeld121

I'd have a look at the Sikkens/Akzo site, maybe contact them and see what they recommend:

I wouldn't worry too much about what a newspaper column says, especially if there's no facts or credentials to back it up.

cheers, Pete

Reply to
Pete C