Gloss Level for Exterior Paint

I went shopping for exterior paint yesterday and was told by the paint salesman that a common choice these days is a satin or mild gloss as opposed to regular old flat paint for siding or main surfaces. I'm aware this change has taken place in interior paints (satin as opposed to flat for walls). Is the same thing happening with exterior paints? My specific examples would be BM's MoorGard (Low Lustre) versus MoorLife (flat). (MoorGlo is their semigloss or trim paint.) Thanks.

- Magnusfarce

Reply to
Magnusfarce

I live in Phoenix and every HOA that I know of prohibits glossy paint on the exterior of homes.

Reply to
SQLit

Nothing is changing, the right paint and sheen must be picked for each job. Sherwin Williams has 5 levels of sheen if I remember correctly. In houses flat may be better for one room , high gloss another. It is what is apropriate for the job that is important.

Reply to
m Ransley

Here in Florida, semi-gloss is almost universally used. Sheds dirt better than flat, and probably holds less mold/mildew. I think glossy is hideous, and it shows defects more easily.

Semi has been pretty standard in kitchens and baths for washability. I don't care for it in other rooms, but it has become popular. Depends a bit on use - five toddlers will coat the walls with goo that needs to be washed off. Smokers = more dirt. More sheen = more defects show. Less sheen = less easy to clean.

Reply to
Norminn

Magnusfarce is asking about exterior paint. Satin or other gloss paints are easier to clean and may be desirable for interior trim, but can look strange on wall areas, unless in small rooms like bathrooms. Re exterior, why would you want any gloss at all on the outside? I've tried semigloss on exterior trim, but it doesn't look so hot, and tho cleans easily, does not outlast the flat used on trim. I think flat acrylic also breathes better, so may be more resistant to bucking/peeling due to trapped moisture behind the paint. I know of no such industry "changes" in finish preference for outside paints that your dealer refers to.

Reply to
Roger

Thanks everyone. I should probably re-emphasize two things:

1) I'm talking about exterior, not interior paint; and

2) I was trying to describe a paint for the main walls that has just a touch of sheen, not a semi gloss and ceratinly not a gloss finish.

- Magnusfarce

Reply to
Magnusfarce

I have been a painting contractor for over 30 yrs In new england. in he past 15 or 20 yrs we have speced high gloss on ex trim with semi or soft gloss for the body.This is for high end residential projects It does clean easier and looks new longer.

have always used oil based semi and gloss for interior trim

Reply to
fsteddie

It looks fine and is not unusual. You can barely see the sheen in that with which I am familiar (my house).

-- dadiOH _____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

We have painted both of our homes with the Benjamin Moore MooreGuard Low Lustre and been very pleased with it. House #1 is cedar shingles and House #2 is (Ugh) Texture 1-11. We used the same type of paint for the trim in both cases.

Reply to
Tracey

We just finished repainting with BM. I'll check in the morning, but think it is semigloss. We live in Charleston SC and have a major problem with mildew, pollen and other wind borne particles. We have received several unsolicited compliments on the appearance of the paint. TB

Reply to
Tom Baker

We bought a quart of flat, satin, and semi-gloss, all in the same color, and did a test on a wall. We decided which we liked, and had the whole building painted.

It was a very inexpensive test compared to the price of the paint job.

- b

Reply to
Bryan