Interior paint: Satin vs Semi-Gloss

I'm preparing to paint the interior of my house and am seeing "satin" finish interior wall paint, which is new to me. Is this the same as semi-gloss or somewhere in between flat and semi? What would be the best applications for this type of paint?

- Magnusfarce

Reply to
Magnusfarce

It really depends on your living conditions. Semi-gloss is excellent for durable situation like tenants, children etc. It's easy to clean up. The con is that is has a sheen which isn't very appealing compared to satin.

A typical 3-tone scheme would be:

Flat Super/Bright White on the ceiling Satin any color on the walls HIGH gloos Super/Bright white on the trim and doors.

I would always use Sherwin Williams Satin for my home and only use semi-gloss in the bathroom or if I had young children. Semi-gloss is for frequent easy cleanup.

Good luck!

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation. -- WCF

Darrell

It is above flat in sheen use on smooth walls with no imperfections , and trim.

Reply to
mark Ransley

Get some samples. I have found that their does not seem to be any real standard from manufacturer to manufacturer, even sometimes within the same manufacturer.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Between flat and semi. Iused it throughout my home and like it.

Reply to
jtees4

Thanks, everybody, for the replies. My interior drywall is finished with a textured, "splatter" finish that is pretty common, I think. Would satin normally be recommended for this finish, or just smooth surfaces as you suggested?

- Magnusfarce

Reply to
Magnusfarce

My house has the textured "orange peel" bumpy stuff over plaster and the satin finish looks fine on it. There is no "shiny" effect and it holds up well to the occasional cleaning from grubby fingerprints. I've even used it on paneling with good results.

Lauri in WA

I like my email spamless

Reply to
Lauri