Flymo VC330 Repair

Replacing belt in VC330 for friend. Stripped it all down - removed motor assembly.

Problem: I noticed that the base plate assembly "wheel" - which connects to the motor with the drive belt will not turn easily by hand. I say "wheel" because it is not just that, it is an assembly with part of it being the drive wheel, No way to strip down further.

I am not sure what that assembly is - or what is its purpose? It has a patent number on it - but no more as far as I can see.

My question: what is it - and should the belt drive wheel on it rotate quite freely.

Reply to
mike.jackson

Pretty clear video here. What is the wheel/bit that is stuck?

How to replace a Flymo belt on a Flymo Turbo Compact 330

Adrian Caspersz

Drive pulley! The motor end shaft and pulley should turn quite freely, unless there is a brake of some sort on it. I would expect there to be a brake at the blade shaft somewhere.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

replying to Adrian Caspersz, Iggy wrote: Huh, that's quite silly to have to take the whole thing apart. I would've thought they'd have a separate belt cover and even a tensioning bolt.

Reply to
Iggy

Yep - I had watched that video - and decided I can do the repair - that's why I bought the bits

When I came to do the repair I did not understand what the device was, that the belt connects to. As I said it is not just a pulley on a spindle - the spindle passed through a "unit" - like a black box.

I have since concluded that the black box is some sort of magnetic/eddy current braking mechanism. So I think I have answered my own question.

Cheer

Reply to
mike.jackson