flour

WTF are the tiny creepy crawlies we just found in 'in date' self raising flour?......now in the bin

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

weevils

Reply to
jkn

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

not flour mites then ?

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

Extra protein..

Reply to
jon

Look at them under a magnifying glass. Weevils have a long snout with feelers coming out half way along. Mites are tiny and have eight legs.

Reply to
Max Demian

Jim Stewart ... snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com wrote

The weevils that are at your place that got into the packet of flour.

Trivially fixed by keeping the packet of flour in a plastic lidded box at your place.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Nope, weevils.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Most likely Tribolium confusum, "the confused flour beetle".

Giyf

Reply to
John Armstrong

Until the mice eat through the plastic :)

Reply to
alan_m

Weevils are a temperate climate species - Jim lives in Scotland :)

Reply to
alan_m

alan_m snipped-for-privacy@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote

I meant the rigid plastic containers and I always have mouse poison in used jar lids that kills the mice very quickly anyway.

Reply to
Rod Speed

When we lived in the Middle East *all* flour had weevils in it, you just seived it carefully! :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

That is correct. There are over 100 different types I believe. As to how they get there in the fist place, that is a much harder question. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Which is why I use big glass jars for my assortment of flours.

Reply to
S Viemeister

good man

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

can I keep them as pets ? ...

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

Spontaneous generation.

Reply to
Max Demian

challenged in 1668.

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

That happened to us once with a bag bought at one of The Big Four.

They wouldn't believe us when we complained, but escalation saw us get a replacement and an apology for the suggestion that our kitchen was infested with flour-mites or weevils.

Reply to
JNugent