Siemens Microwave

Paid for 20 Sept 2021. Installed late October or beginning of November.

Two days ago it woud start a cycle but then send a red error code E

1006.

The repairs agent in the UK BSH said "out of warranty". "Bbbbut the documentationd says the warranty is good for two years!" "Ah but you should have tregistered it".

Whu doesn't it attach without registration?

I registered an account late but only quoted the purchase date.

Oh and the website insisted that I was in Ireland.

"You must have been on the Irish website".

How the hell would I get there? Why not the Australian or Indonesian?

I don't feel inclined to buy anything else labelled Siemans or one of their brands.

Dismay over.

Reply to
pinnerite

Might wanna look up on law re registration of warranties Also, with it being a good brand you could reasonably expect more than a year from it. Or just fix it

Reply to
Animal

It is the purchase date that matters, not when you installed it.

A manufacturer doesn't have to give you a warranty so can attach whatever conditions they want. Registration is a common one. AFAIK you have no legal right to challenge them on that.

You do have rights against the seller. Assuming you bought as a consumer (not as a business) lots of them. Contrary to what a lot of people say, that doesn't include an automatic 2 year guarantee. But for an expensive microwave you'd have a strong argument it should last more than a year. Plenty of advice on that online on that. E.g.

That also covers your rights if you paid with a credit card to claim against the card issuer.

Reply to
Robin

Actually, I do not see under UK law that they can have any defence at all. It clearly is not fit for purpose so the vendor should either replace or repair it at their expense, though I do understand your feelings about the manufacturer, unless you bought it directly from them then its the vendors problem If they are acting as the vendor and have supplied it knowingly to the uk then they have to honour uk consumer law. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That site gives a different take to everything else I've read, which says the law gives you an automatic warranty of anything from 1 to 6 years for most goods. Items you'd reasonably expect to last 6 years are the high quality things like Miele, Merc etc. 1 year you could expect from Argos basics.

Reply to
Animal

I thought the 'reasonably expected life' depended on what it applied to as well as the quality (or not) of the supplier.

Reply to
Chris Green

Yes, as I mentioned the OP would have a strong case that a Siemens should last more than a year. But, as I also mentioned, there's a lot of misleading claims about "automatic" guarantees.

If you don't trust Which? another simple but accurate guide to consumers' rights is

Robin