Fixing that last panel in the kitchen?

We've got a gap in the kitchen that's been there for a year now! My partner took a spare panel to her dad who sliced it down to the right width to fit the hole, but how do we fit it?

It's the gap between the top of the combination oven and the cupboard above There's no way of fixing it from the inside that I can see as it buts up flush with the front side of the shelf of the cupboard above.

We were suggested Velcro strips but these would make the panel stand out proud to the adjoining doors.

Is there some sort of concealed fixings that clip together when the panel is fitted?

I can't take a photo as the digi. cam is out of action, but I'm sure anyone that's fitted a kitchen will have come across this problem.

Cheers Pete

--

project in the making!

Reply to
gymratz

================================== One possibility - magnetic catches:

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=magnetic+catches&x=0&y=0Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

You could maybe fix 2" x 1" battens to the sides of the carcass and velcro to that. Difficult to get it perfectly flush though

Reply to
Stuart Noble

The people who did our kitchen (before we moved in) obviously had just this problem.

They used two L-shaped metal brackets, about 40mm wide and with each 'arm' about that depth. Thin metal, slotted holes. These were screwed to the back of the panel, and adjusted so that when slid into the gap they bound on the sides of the cupboard. It has held well for several years, so it does work!

Reply to
Bob Eager

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=magnetic+catches&x=0&y=0>> Cic.

I was going to suggest the same thing!

Does the panel fit against a frame? If so, the larger (magnetic) bits of the mag catches need to be screwed to the inside of the frame, with the face set back by the thickness of the metal plates. The plates are then screwed onto the back of the panel in the right position to line up with the mag bits - and will thus be just inside the frame, and won't make the panel stand proud - like you said Velcro would.

[Actually, Velcro needn't make the panel stand proud if you attach it to wooden blocks set back a few mm from the face of the frame].
Reply to
Roger Mills

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=magnetic+catches&x=0&y=0These look fun

Ben Blaukopf

Thanks all for suggestions. I'll perhaps try the magnetic catches first and follow on from there.

Cheers Pete

Reply to
gymratz

They're usually adjustable so you should be able to get the panel flush

Reply to
Stuart Noble

================================== You might also consider fitting a drawer in the space. A couple of runners or a ready-made drawer would do quite nicely.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

The Oven is already installed and the drawer wpuld only be a few inches deep. Besides, as it's a combi/microwave oven and gets 99% of all use, a few inches air-gap seems a good idea.

Cheers all the same.

Pete

Reply to
gymratz

This sort of thing?

of course yours is above the oven by the sounds of it...

The oven ought to have its own fan blowing air up the back and out of the front in order to keep the controls cool. Hence anything above that shouldn't be getting all that warm either.

Either way, how about lifting the oven up to the top (like mine)? Our carcass had an adjustable shelf for exactly that - the space at the bottom is then a very convenient place to slide the grill tray, baking trays etc.

To fix the door I used a couple of small hinges and the magnetic catches others have mentioned. Works well!

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Gripfill/No More Nails?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

:¬) Never thought of that! I am thinking something not quite so permanent though the only time I guess we might need access would bee if the oven packed up.

If I can't get the magnetic catch idea to work, the more permanent solution will save a lot of time.

Cheers Pete

Reply to
gymratz

If the oven packs up, hit the panel with a blunt large object & then replace it afterwards.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I Don't think she'd like to be used in that way! But the idea of a replacement sounds good.

:¬))

Cheers Pete

Reply to
gymratz