Fitting Cat Flap in Wall

ha, correct but for entirely the wrong reasons.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote: but a lot will simply refuse to enter a small closed

They do when they are hungry.

Kevin

Reply to
Kev

The message from "." contains these words:

Like cats up trees. When did you last see a cat skeleton up a tree?

Reply to
Guy King

You have a lot to learn about cats. One of the main points is that although dogs have owners, cats have STAFF.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Hi All,

Thanks for all you help and advice. Got a magnetic flap and will aim to fit tonight.

Am concerned about the stength of the wall as it is only single skin and how much damage using an SDS and bolster will do in loosening the surrounding brickwork. Am I right in worrying? its a single skin wall that was rebuilt about 15 years ago on the end of our kitchen. The flap will need to installed with one edge approx 4" away from the door frame/wall edge.

A mate has also suggested us> Hi,

Reply to
wilfman

If you do lots of chain-drilling as advised, it should be OK, as that will minimise the jarring. At worst you might need to make up a bit of mortar for repointing if a brick or two comes loose,

Trouble is that if the blade is big enought to penetrate the brick depth, then the cuts will extend way beyond the corners of the cat flap due to the big radius on the cutting disc (think about it). This technique is fine for larger openings, but won't work on a piddly one like a cat hole.

That said, iy still might be useful to cut even a shallow slot around the periphery of where the hole will be, to define nice straight edges.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Thanks for all the advice. Finished it last night and all working fine.... Used angle grinder to create a "slot" in the brickwork which allowed me to stitch drill in a straight line and then bolster chisel it out.

All that effort and the cat just sniffed at it and walked off! He'll get used to it I am sure.

Reply to
wilfman

| |Will Owen wrote: |> Hi, |>

|> I need to install a cat flap in my kitchen wall. It is a single skin brick |> wall (1930s red brick) with plasterboard and insulation behind. |>

|> How easy is it to cut the hole out for this? I have some long masony drills |> etc, but am unsure as to how much you knock out. i.e. can you drill holes |> in a line through the brick to create the hole of the required size or do |> you have to knock out the surrounding bricks and fill in around it |> afterwards? |>

|> Apols for sounding like a novice, but have never had to do this before. |>

|> TIA |>

|> Will Owen | |Thanks for all the advice. Finished it last night and all working |fine.... Used angle grinder to create a "slot" in the brickwork which |allowed me to stitch drill in a straight line and then bolster chisel |it out. | |All that effort and the cat just sniffed at it and walked off! He'll |get used to it I am sure.

Shove it through a few times, then He'll get the idea.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop