Query about a triplexer TV/AM/SAT socket?

How do these work?

They only have a single cable coming in but 3 outputs, i.e. FM, AM an SAT.

I am installing one of the MK k5853 ones on my cable TV system to tid things up, but wondered about the aerial side of things. If I decide t get disconnected from NTL later on in life, does the aerial socket the fail to work, in which case it makes the whole principal useless?

I expected to have a seperate aerial lead and the NTL lead coming in but this is obviously not the case.

Anyone?!

-- Cordless Crazy

Reply to
Cordless Crazy

That's because FM, AM and SAT work on different frequencies, so can be sent down the one cable without interfering with each other.

You do have to have the proper box at the "head end" to combine the signals correctly in the first place though.

They're intended for SATellite TV, not cable TV.

If you've got cable TV why would you expect to have an aerial at all?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The triplexer face plate is only half the storey.

You start with the three off air signals from your sat dish, FM and TV aerials, and feed them into a combiner. Each is in a different frequency space and hence they can co-exist in one coax. At the far end you split them out again with low pass, band pass, and high pass filters which are built into the face plate.

Your NTL box will be fed by a single co-ax carrying a broadband signal. This contains all of the services receivable. It is the job of the set top box to decode and generate a TV signal from this.

Reply to
John Rumm