Dumb TV Socket Question

Hi all

Can someone please confirm that the socket attached is suitable for a "standard" tv connection? There's loads of talk of duplex this and triplex DAB that...I will be using it for digital freeview signal (maybe freesat later) distributed from a powered splitter - and for a phone point of course.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

In article , TheScullster scribeth thus

One of the better ones. Tho some will say run the aerial lead directly with nothing at all in the way but thats only in very marginal bad reception areas..

Do make the flylead up yourself some of the pre made ones are absolute rubbish 'tho they may look OK...

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , TheScullster writes

confused.

Yes, that is fine. It's a single so the duplex, triplexed etc descriptions do not apply and non-isolated and screened are just what you want.

Note the requirement for a 25mm back box and take care to avoid kinking the cable. My pref is to use foam filled CF100 cable to reduce that risk but have recently bought semi air cored CT100 equiv when on a budget, used with care. Either way only use copper braid and copper foil screened cable.

Reply to
fred

you probably mean diplex? That's where you combine say a UHF TV signal and a VHF radio one down the same co-ax. Needs a diplexer at either end to do this. Then there are electrically isolated outlets for communal systems. And probably lots more.

If you intend fitting a satellite system later, best get one with an additional satellite socket too - these are different from UHF aerial ones.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks to all for reassurance.

Unfortunately, the cable I have used is not top-spec as it was routed (literally) years ago before I had time to research satellite grade offerings etc. Now it would be a m-a-j-o-r exercise to replace, as it runs the length of the inhabited house.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

The outlet's ok, though the description says male rather than female, but perfectly usable if you've already got it.

Old cable can affect satellite reception, but sensible to try it and see before messing with it.

NT

Reply to
NT

In article , TheScullster writes

Such is life, you may find it works ok, the stronger the signal the more noise is required to interfere with it. Thus you may find it better to use a larger aerial than a smaller one when you next change it or use a distribution amplifier rather than a passive splitter when distributing signals to the outlets. Bottom line, suck it and see.

Reply to
fred