TV extension from existing socket

I am planning to run a extension from an existing TV aerial socket (type that is on a plate flush to the wall). Without taking this off the wall to look at the back (new house... not moved in yet), is this easy to do ? Are there likely to be terminals on the back of the plate that I can wire a series entension into ? Or do I have to remove the existing wire, fit a plug, then into a splitted then one to the current socket via a short cable and a new cable to the new one, allowing the splitter to drop into the wall behind ?

Reply to
NC

There are terminals on the back of the ariel plate but you will find ariel cable might come through the wall from the outside another aspect is the cable might come from the loft and recessed in the wall(chasing)then plastered over.

So to use an extension from the socket you would have to chase the wall that has the socket, down to the floor.

Easiest way IMHO is to have another ariel put on the mast and the cable run to the back of the house or where ever your going to sight the other TV. Using two TV's on the same ariel reduces the signal level a bit.

Reply to
ben

I know thay they make soap powder, but I was unaware that you can buy Ariel cable.

No. You don't treat it like a ring main. There are impedances and suchlike to bear in mind.

Very messy and unprofessional, besides being daft.

Not by anything you need to be concerned about. Otherwise the main aerial system needs sorting out first.

The correct solution to feed just one additional TV, is to install a waterproof, inductive splitter in the cable run from the mast and then feed directly to where required.

It could also be done by plugging in an inductive splitter to the existing socket and running the second point from there. A further option is to split it off at the output of the connected VCR / SAY / Freeview receiver.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

No, I think he's off with the fairies!

Reply to
Bob Eager

First of all, do youy want to run a separate TV? Or just 'move' the socket?

If the latter, just solder new cable on* and use a blanking plate on the existing...

IF OTOH you want to run several TV's you need a proper splitter. This will degrade signal a bit and if you want half a dozen TV's you really need a booster splitter - preferably up near the aerial...

  • This is not totally trivial - exetnding co-ax cable: If you don't know how to do it ask again.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If youu are adding a second TV, you sound like you're adding a second cable to the back of this socket.

I'm assuming this is your main TV point which might have any of the following: VCR, Sky, Cable.

Consider changing the face plate for a double one. Come out of one of these as you do now, go through your equipment and before you get to the TV, split it. Then one goes to the TV, one to the second wall socket.

This way, the other TV will be able to get Sky/VCR aswell.

Just an idea, it's what i've done.

Reply to
jg