First time Sat TV Choice

As I am on cable I haven't taken much interest in satellite options.

However, I am thinking of getting an installation as a gift for my daughter as she lives in a non-cabled area and is on a relay station and has poor reception and not much hope of Freeview for a while.

As I see it there is Freesat and a free offering from Sky.

As I don't think they will want to go down the route of subscribing to additional services, what benefits does each offer?

Reply to
John

Poor analogue reception doesn't bode well for Freeview. But bung her post code into the checker on

to find out when DSO should be happening for her.

Freesat (either one) offers better quality than Freeview but does require the installation of a dish rather than simply (ha!) plugging in the existing aerial feed. There are fewer channels on Freeview than either Freesat service and with Freesat you can expand what channels you get beyound those in the EPG's via the "other channels" part of the receiver.

An existing terrestial aerial does need to be producing decent analogue reception, if not you may well have to upgrade or at least work on it to produce decent analogue reception.

Installing a dish is not difficult for a competent DIYer that can drill holes and run cable. The hardest part is probably finding somewhere suitable to site the dish so it can direcctly see the satellite and the alignment of the dish onto the satellite. The receivers have built in strength and quality meters but they are quite slugged and coarse so the fine adjustments required to get the best signal can take a while. Basic alignment meters are quite cheap thouugh (

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Or get an ordinary Digital sat receiver and you can set that how you want with no dealings with Sky TV at all:))...

Reply to
tony sayer

I want a simple turn key package that I can just order and pay for without needing to intervene. Daughter and husband are not technical.

Reply to
John

Then perhaps uk.d-i-y is not the best newsgroup to choose for your questions. Try instead:

uk.media.tv.misc uk.media.tv.sky uk.media.broadcast.commercial

Reply to
Bruce

In article , John scribeth thus

Yes .. presume that somewhat .. this is prolly why Freesat hasn't taken off as much as Freeview in the UK despite Freesat offering almost UK wide coverage but I suppose tho its associated with those Two UK avoid like the plague things Satellite dishes and involvement with Sky TV!....

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Bruce scribeth thus

Or better still.

uk.tech.digital-tv

Reply to
tony sayer

The free offering from sky is really intended to get them in the door, so to speak, hoping you'll eventually switch to paid services.

Freesat is a better genuinely free product.

However, bear in mind that a Sky box and year's subscription can often be had for a very good price, sometimes cheaper than the outlay cost of a freesat or "free from sky" setup. Can always cancel after the first year....

Reply to
chunkyoldcortina

Thanks.

Reply to
Bruce

You can buy a FREESAT receiver and installation from Argos. Unless they want HD you can buy a receiver from £50 and installation IIRC is ~£75.

Job done.

Reply to
Vortex7

In that case the best bet is to buy one of the Freesat box and installation deals for about =A380. Argos has been mentioned but all the white goods type places sell 'em. Might be worth a shop around.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Rest of excellent advice snipped.

We were, I think, the second area to go fully digital (Winter Hill) and I was thinking that the digital reception was going to be poor even after I paid out £150-00 for a new aerial. Analogue was ghosting and quite un-watch-able at times and digital would pixilate very badly. I later found out it was looking through a tall and narrow tree to find a signal. When it rained, it was at its worst.

Now the analogue has been switched off, we have no problems, as I think they have upped the power of the digital transmissions.

Dave

Reply to
dave

Yes, the power does go up at the last stage of DSO from the main sites. Doesn't really help those that cannot see the main site though. Most relays don't carry any digits. The first sniff of a digital signal here will be when BBC2 analogue gets switched to a mux about 4 weeks before the switching off of the other 3 analogue channels.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Vortex7 wrote

Is there a SD Freesat box that actually works properly?

The second/third? generation of the SD boxes appear to have reception problems. Bush, Goodmans and Grundig SD boxes are the same electronics.

Reply to
Alan

I have the Humax HD (and HDR) and they work fine.

IMO the HDR is far more usable because it has a "Universal" and more logically laid out remote.....plus of course the HDR functionality.

Reply to
Vortex7