Fitting Bib tap - thread preparation

Quick one really - When fitting a 1/2" into a wall plate, do I need to put anything on the thread first (like PTFE), or is this not necessary.

Cheers

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Brady

I'd always use PTFE tape personally, costs a few pennies and ensures a leak free joint.

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

It's far better to understand the purpose of PTFE in a joint and use it accordingly than to just use it on every joint.

In this case, it's a parallel thread joint, which will require some kind of sealant to make it water tight. PTFE (or alternative) is therefore required.

However, there are many other types of joint where the seal is created in a different way (metal/metal, metal/rubber etc.), and using PTFE in those situations is neither desirable nor recommended.

Reply to
Grunff

I guess most people wouldn't use it on soldered joints. :-)

Are you saying that it is not appropriate for compression joints?

Mr F.

Reply to
Mr Fizzion

Reply to
Grunff

But it can be a good quick bodge on a dodgy compression joint, at least until you fix it properly.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I disagree. If a compression joint is leaking, and further tightening doesn't fix the leak, it is unlikely PTFE will fix it.

Think about how a compression joint is made - the olive is squashed against the pipe and against the two parts of the fitting. The only reason for it to leak is if the pipe, olive or fitting is damaged, or it hasn't been tightened sufficiently.

Reply to
Grunff

So you wrap tape over the thread and the olive - with luck that will contain the leak within the fitting.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Hmmm...

Reply to
Grunff

I said it was a bodge :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

Yes. I have never used (or needed) any form of sealant in a compression joint. If the olives don't seal it then there is something wrong, like grit in it.

Alan.

Reply to
Alan

I've always used it on compression joints, including high pressure fittings on CDS hydraulic tube @ 200 bar+ and I've never had a leak yet.

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

Thanks for all responses

Ok - PTFE tape on the shopping list for use where a threaded connection ITSELF is making the seal - i.e. Bib tap as per my original post.

Incidently - the Hep20 website suggests using the tape beneath the olive of a compression joint to help lubrication , but not to seal the joint.

Regards

Reply to
Kevin Brady

But why? It just doesn't make sense - that isn't how the fitting works.

Reply to
Grunff

Several people have made this suggestion in the past, but I realy don't like the idea - if you want to lubricate, there are plenty of suitable products for this which won't in any way interfere with the joint.

Reply to
Grunff

Me too - but I do often wonder if they would have leaked had I not!

Reply to
Richard Conway

I know, but with mass produced fittings (probably from China) there are always tolerance issues. PTFE takes up any imperfections in the thread/olive/tube.

The beauty of tape it that it stays there rather tha being wased away.

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

The olive does a pretty good job of that.

Why would you want to replace a metal/metal seal with a metal/PTFE seal?

I just don't get this "use PTFE regardless" approach - I've made hundreds of compression joints without PTFE tape on a single one, and have yet to experience a problem.

Reply to
Grunff

At the risk of a further display of inexperience, doe the PTFE tape around a bib tap thread fitting 'gunk' it up, meaning that I would not then be able to unscrew and refix. It's just that this will govern whether I do this part of the work sooner or later in the list.

Thanks,

Reply to
Kevin Brady

No, you'll be able to unscrew it with no problems.

Reply to
Grunff