Fitting Bib tap - thread preparation

David Lang wrote:

The olive does a pretty good job of that.
Why would you want to replace a metal/metal seal with a metal/PTFE seal?
I just don't get this "use PTFE regardless" approach - I've made hundreds of compression joints without PTFE tape on a single one, and have yet to experience a problem.
--
Grunff

At the risk of a further display of inexperience, doe the PTFE tape around a bib tap thread fitting 'gunk' it up, meaning that I would not then be able to unscrew and refix. It's just that this will govern whether I do this part of the work sooner or later in the list.
Thanks,
--
KEVIN BRADY, Oxford
_____________________
Kevin Brady wrote:

No, you'll be able to unscrew it with no problems.
--
Grunff

"Kevin Brady" snipped-for-privacy@kevinbrady.co.uk says...

Teflon is actually a rather good lubricant.
"Kevin Brady" < wrote in message

PTFE tape will make it easier to unscrew.
Dave
On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 14:26:11 +0000 (UTC), "Kevin Brady"

Hi,
Might be worth getting a tube of Fernox LS-X or some similar joint sealer, needs time to set but quicker than faffing with tape ;)
cheers, Pete.
On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 14:26:11 +0000 (UTC), "Kevin Brady"

ps...
If using jointing compound put on the thread of the tap so excess is squeezed out of the joint, not inside.
cheers, Pete.