Fitting a vent in soffit

Hi group,

I've got a 1989-built house, which has ventilated soffits, made of a white board-like material, with small shiny crystalline bits visible in.

The vents are slots with mesh over, but I want to fit a round plastic grille for a bathroom extractor fan. I've read some of the archives, which mention cryolite asbestos cement soffit boards - were these still likely to be fitted in 1989? Some people seem to think gypsum boards are hard to distinguish from the asbestos ones.

I suppose what I'm asking is:

a) As they were put up in '89, are they likely to be asbestos cement ones? If it's possible that they are, any way to confirm?

b) If it's asbestos, can I carefully drill a small hole, and go round it with a saw blade, to make my cutout (~135mm) without too high a risk?

Cheers,

David

Reply to
David Pye

Unlikely. They would have been illegal for over five years at that point

Reply to
Mike

cement ones?

That works for me. I shall cut my hole then :)

David

Reply to
dmp