Fischer - Free Heat

<snip>

They can.

Or not, or I'm guessing (part of why) they wouldn't be sending out and installing millions of the things foc?

I gave (and set up for) my mate in his PC shop one of the remote usage meters and he *started* turning stuff off where he didn't before (monitors, soldering stations, bench lights and the like).

I agree that once they have an idea what things use and what the typical background usage is, they may not monitor the usage so constantly but that doesn't matter then does it. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Some inkjet printers could be an exception. My HP Officejet Pro 8100 conveniently goes into low energy sleep mode after a few minutes. It only sees very light use and if I were to turn it off after use it would waste lots of ink cleaning the heads every time I started it up because it has no knowledge of how long ago they were last cleaned. I now leave it turned on 24/7 and it remembers how much time has elapsed since the heads were last cleaned with the result that it only cleans them when it considers it necessary. The savings in cost of wasted ink far outweigh the small extra energy cost.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Sure (as I mentioned elsewhere) but that would only deal with one half of the question, turning the heater off when it was warm enough.

It doesn't answer the question of dealing with the issue of it getting too cold (if it takes more than 60W to keep the space above some minimum threshold).

I normally get the job of fitting eave fillers for the winter (and taking them out again in the spring). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

As does my Ricoh colour laser (down to 3W I believe).

Ok.

Ok.

Interesting scenario. Have you actually costed that OOI, 'you can manage (accurately) what you can measure' etc (and I'm not suggesting you aren't right etc)?

Is that similar to how much energy a fluorescent light uses to start compared with running and therefore when you should turn it off over leaving it on ... or a cold engine using more fuel? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Really, I find that 'cooking veg' in a microwave costs less than cooking it on an electric hob and is quicker.

No but you might not know what is on, especailly in a house with kids. Although I don;t have a smartmeter I do have a thing that tells me how much power I'm using, and yes looking at it I can tell if I or someone else has left something significant on. If it weren;t for the fridge freezer switch ing off and on I'd even be able to tell if my ipad was charged in another r oom. My lights at minium brightness use about 140W less than when they are full on.

When I put my electric oven on to warm up, I can sit in my frontroom and se e when the oven switches off so up to temperature, otherwise I;d use time o r keep going back to check.

But of course it;s not really the device that saves yuo money it;s the effo rt in understanding it and using it that CAN save you money.

Reply to
whisky-dave

;-) But surely on a DIY group (is it still this?) we don't need a 'smart' meter to tell us how much electricity anything uses?

I also wonder if low energy use lamps are actually self defeating. So relatively cheap to run you might as well just leave it on when not needed. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

tedly. Did the mental arithmetic & discovered it's costing 1/8th p per hour . Now I don't care.

it's not just the cost of the electricity, but as I have seen LEDs do go fa ulty and theyv donl;t all wait until their 25,000 hours are up or the 'pred icted lifespan of 3 years with a 3 year guarantee, most go long before that due to heating. This is why many LED's while quoting UPTO to X hours that this only applies if they are on for Y hours or less usaully 3 to 6. So while switching off might not save much electricity it will lenghen the ir life span.

Reply to
whisky-dave

My dad did that, as I kid I offered to make a circut that would switch off or on depending on the temperature, he said. If it's f****ng cold I'll put the f****ng heater on, if it's not cold I won't. That system worked for years by looking at a simple themometer when going to bed and deciding whether it was cold enough, if it was cold he switched the heater on, it was about 90W and in the morning when he got up if it was cold the heater would be left on, it seemed a simple solution to a not very complex problem.

Very few of us have temperature controlled clothes so we decide what do wear based on current temps and predicted temps, or the weather forcast.

That would also depend on how harsh the winder was, but if you use one of those plugin watt meters you can leave it to measure the actual wattage comsumed over time if you really want to know. If there's a IoT version you could record such things via an app.

I was looking at a set of kitchen scales that work with an app, although I haven't really worked out a real advantage of having such a thing, but christmas is coming :-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Dave Plowman (News) snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk>

Went to a talk recently about the area we live in getting dark sky status and that problem was brought up. People were reluctant to leave a 500 watt Halogen flood lamp on for hours so preferred lamps with sensors or switched them off , the past few years has seen many replaced with LED versions and people leave them on all night. And the cooler whiter colour temperature of many such LED replacements is a more polluting light than the yellowish light emitted from the older lamps apparently because the whiter colour bounces off things more.

GH

Reply to
Marland

I was driving back the other night and noticed that the 'traditional' yellow glow over the city has been replaced by a cold white glow, not so easy for any astronomers to cut out the narrow sodium spectrum, but I suspect most of them now go off at midnight.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Think of all the money you'll save on switches!

Reply to
Max Demian

Well I don't have any precise figures but my plug in power meter shows

8W in standby mode which would consume 70 kWH per year or about £8,30 per year on my current tariff.

A full set of HP XL cartridges costs £86, If I kept switching the printer off I'd expect the ink wastage due to cleaning on startup to come to more than the extra electricity costs.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Ok, one component you can measure (best case especially) reasonably accurately.

Ah, so only 'you'd expect' etc (and again, I'm not suggesting your expectations aren't valid). ;-)

eg. I wonder if there are different quantities of ink used for various types of cleaning processes? A wake up clean might be less than a new cartridges / purge / clean etc?

But it does just show there is often 'more to it' with all his sort of thing. Like using a mains powered time switch to manage the power usage of say a phone charger. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I think we still could because not everyone into or asking about 'd-i-y' necessarily knows about everything (in spite of *some* thinking they do). ;-)

Whilst I'm sure that could be the case in some instances (might be a good solution for a stuck-on fridge light switch <g>) I'm sure for many the light being on is still an issue, irrespective of what power it is or isn't taking.

Like, we have LED lamps in the front and rear annexes and both are on dusk-till-dawn switches. Now it's quite possible that the switches draw nearly as much power as the lamp, especially if measured over an average 24 hour cycle (changes over the year) but I still wouldn't want to see the lights on during the day (although they can come on if it's really overcast, which is fine).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Well it often spent more time cleaning the jets than it took to print the single page it was switched on to do so I'm assuming that it used a significant amount of ink.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

;-)

Agreed, where 'significant' *could* still cost less than the wasted electricity (although I agree it may well not).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Even though it has been turned on continuously, won't it still know that it hasn't printed in a while, so go through a self-clean anyway?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Can any tell me how Freepost works? do the companies pay a flat fee based on an estimate of how many items are returned or is each individual item charged. If the latter then I will return the Fischer ?Free heat ? leaflet that dropped through the letter flap this morning with a snotty message on it .

GH

Reply to
Marland

I suppose that does have some use then, be handy for the blind to have an app tell you how much over or under .....

I would expect sa bread making machine to tell me what I need to make bread. I had a battery cocktail shaker once that told me what ingredients to use. My pyrex kitchen jug just has measurements on the side nothing about how much vodka to add.

I guess so but I'd prefer a bread making app to do that.

I don't use weight to measure water, I use volume in my pyrex jug. But then again I don;lt weigh much the last things were a couple of eggs, and before that wallpaper paste.

yeah would be nice if there was a device that'd take the meal out of the freezer and stick it in the microwave. Years ago these sort of devices were refered to as wives .......

Reply to
whisky-dave

That actually sounds like quite a lot for a printer on standby.

Sometimes experience counts too.

Yes they do use differing amounts and sometiumes as with mine I have to do a head clean 3 times and even then it might not be as clean and functional as I'd like but it'll do.

I have advised someone to do that (bit it wasn;t to save money or power), when they were concerned about leaving a phone to long on charge and worried about the charger or phone blowing up. I gave him a plugin timer showed him how to set up for ~2 hours charging at a time. This was after reports of cheap chargers blowing up, and the segways catching fire, he was a bit paranoid. I said I only use the apple charger that came with the device, and when charging I always charge on a surface that is unlikely to burst into flames if it gets hot. At this moment my ipad is still connected to the charger as from last night about 1am, sometimes if I rememeber I turn it off in the morning, but I'm not really concerned if it's left on until I get home about 6:30pm.

Reply to
whisky-dave