Fire-rated downlights - something I learned today...

...from the technical manager of a lighting manufacturer: "F-mark" and "Fire-rated" are not the same thing.

If a downlight carries the F-mark (letter "F" in an upside-down triangle), it can be mounted on combustible surfaces (e.g. wood). It does not mean that the light is fire retardant.

If a downlight is fire-rated, it incorporates intumescent materials which ensure that the ceiling maintains its fire and acoustic integrity in accordance with Building Regulations.

--------------

I have been searching for 12V downlights for my lath-and-plaster ceiling. My electrician said that they needed to have a fire hood or be fire-rated. I think that he is wrong, since the ceiling itself does not have a fire rating. However, I do need downlights that carry the F-mark. Ironically, most suppliers of cheap downlights derate their lights to 35W to allow them to carry the F-mark. So I may have to buy fire-rated downlights after all if I want to get a 50W version!

Reply to
denbigh1974

Which is the correct way up for a triangle?

Reply to
Graham

  • *** *****
*******
Reply to
denbigh1974

Are all the fire-rated fittings also F-marked / inherently F-markable ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I've looked at a number of fire-rated downlights and they all seem to carry the F-mark. It is an assumption though on my part, Andy, that ANY fire-rated light is automatically suitable for mounting on a combustible surface.

Reply to
denbigh1974

That's what I'd assume too, but is it really valid? One means that it's resistant to external heat, the other means that it doesn't transmit excess heat to its support. Commercially it would make sense for one to imply the other, but technically it seems less sure.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

It also depends where the lights are going. This article may be of interest:

Andy Wade