Recessed lighting fire hoods requirements

I am fitting some recessed ceiling lighting and was told that fire hoods have to be fitted to comply with building regulations if there is living accommodation above the lights. I have looked on the IEE website and can only find this that says it isn't the case.

am not sure though whether this is an old document and these are new building regulations. Can anyone help me?

Reply to
OBone

I am not sure though whether this is an old document and these are new

Don't use fire hoods. Difficult to fit properly and can become dislodged. Use fire and acoustic rated downlights - these are enclosed in a vented canister and fitted with intumescent material, that will activate in the event of fire, much like fire door seals.

If a penetration is made in a partition (wall or ceiling) that is a fire containment barrier, the fire rating must be restored. In a single dwelling there are no such barriers, except the ceiling of an integral garage. The fact that there is a room above a house ceiling is immaterial

Normal plasterboard ceilings have a half-hour fire rating and testing carried out by the BRE has established that the installation of downlights does not significantly affect this.

So, there is no need at all to fit hoods in a single domestic dwelling (except, maybe in the garage) but not all building inspectors appear know this. If you must fit downlights, use the fire-rated ones.

But, see the Building Regulations Part L1B, paragraphs 43 - 48. You can read all the Building Regulations Approved Documents here: -

John McLean

"OBone" wrote

Rolls Royce D-I-Y Job

Bought some stainless steel coffee/tea canisters from pound shop, along with mesh lid thingies that are used over frying pans to stop fat splatter. Throw away lids from canisters. Grind off "bottoms" of canisters. Cut circle of mesh a bit bigger than canister bottom and form over. Stick edge of mesh to canister top with super glue, then tile adhesive as it was handy. Cut notch in bottom edge of canister in one place for light cable - make sure no sharp edges. When adhesive dried, stick in place over fitting using plumber's mate to bed and locate bottom edge of canister and seal cable entry.

Advantages:

Look good if you turn the "Tea" logo to the back - yes I know no-one but me will see them. Fine mesh allows light and heat to escape into loft space without letting creapy crawlies and debris into room below (important in my case as the room in question was bathroom). Sealing with plumber's mate also helps keep out unwanted visitors. Low cost - £8 total

Disadvantages:

Takes a bit longer than throwing a few plant pots up there. Had to find canisters of suitable size for light fittings - my fittings are angle and rotation adjustable and are therefore "taller" above ceiling than cheaper fixed alternatives.

HTH

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster