Fined for taking a leak....

It was used as a disinfectant in early operating theatres, discharged into the air from a misting sprayer. I hate to think what those places must have smelt like...

The Romans used it for washing their cloths in. The expression "taking the piss" is reputed to come from collection of urine from households which was sold on to laundries.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Not sure about the laundry connection but urine was communally collected in some areas of the UK until the late 19th century for the production of Alum which is used as a mordant (fixer) in the dyeing industry.

Reply to
Matt

He's right, urine was used in laundry and ammoniacal soap was made with urine and fat. The name Soap may have come from Mount Sapo in Lazio where the Romans sacrificed many animals and the combination of animal fat from pyres, animal urine and woodash combined to make a form of soap that was scraped up and used by local washer women.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Its still collected from convents to extract hormones used for fertility treatment. Or so a couple I know undergoing ivf were told by their consultant.

Reply to
O.B.

Its still collected from convents to extract hormones used for fertility treatment. Or so a couple I know undergoing ivf were told by their consultant.

Reply to
O.B.

Also once used for making explosives so dont store it in your garage or the boot of your car.

Reply to
madmax

Umm well, I used to work for that pharmaceutical company (Serono) and as far as I'm aware the practice stopped when recombinant hFSH was created and licensed. I could be wrong, it may be that the consultants still prefer to dose victims with recycled nun-widdle, most of them still ahve a strong belief in juju bones and Sumerian incantations.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Only from horses or zoo animals. You can't do it with apes or ruminants.

Primo Levi has a story of collecting reptile urine in post-war Italy to make cosmetics.

Reply to
Andy Dingley