Finding flat/square holdalls/kit/tool bags, etc?

Maybe a bit off-topic, but I'm trying to think of the right search terms either for google or Ebay to see if there are any sort of flat rectangular type holdalls or canvass bags, etc, that might be the right sort of dimensions for what I need.

My stage music stands for the jazz orchestra are made of Correx signboard, in several flat-pack sections. I currently use ReallyUsefulBoxes crates to transport the pieces to gigs, but I'd like to find some sort of bag/holdall in something durable (canvass, that sort of thing).

For example I have a stack of flat pieces which form a block about 630mm x 320mm x 150mm. If there were a bag in which this cuboid block of pieces would fit neatly, with a nice carry handle, it would be less cumbersome. A typical luggage holdall large enough to fit those would be baggy and messy and mostly empty.

If I also had another bag 630mm x 150mm x 150mm, in other words something rather long and thin, perhaps tubular, to hold the smaller parts of the stand assemblies, even better.

Maybe some of you can suggest hobbies or trades that make use of kit bags, tool bags, carry bags that might fit such rectangular demands and perhaps by luck yield something that is almost exactly the right size for me?

Michael

Reply to
Michael Kilpatrick

Artists' folio?

Reply to
charles

Thanks, but that sort of thing is good for objects which are large in two dimensions but neglible in the third. Unfortunately my stack of large flat things is rather too thick for that!

Michael

Reply to
Michael Kilpatrick

Film/television use custom bags of many sorts, for anything from view finders and cameras to tripods.

Try KT Systems, fairly useless website unfortunately but they will make what you want.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Its time for a sewing machine. Any functional zigzag machine will pay its cost back and more over time, even if you only use it once a year.

Charity shops are where to get cheap fabric when you're not too fussy.

The other precisely sized lightweight option is twinwall polycarb. Its pricey though.

NT

Reply to
NT

Not _any_ functional zig-zag machine - many relatively inexpensive machines don't have the power to go through multiple layers of heavy fabric. They're fine for dressmaking and lightweight curtains, but will struggle with canvas, denim, and upholstery fabrics. Buy a basic second-hand machine - take samples of heavy-duty fabric with you, and see how the machine handles it.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I guess if you sew multiple layers of canvas that's true, you'd want a metal geared machine. But any functional zigzagger can still pay its cost off.

Reply to
NT

Yes, that's true for many everyday tasks - but the OP appeared to require heavy-weight fabric. Two of my family members were very disappointed with their new, modern machines when they tried to do things like bind the edges of quilts and hem jeans - I have a couple of heavy-duty machines and wound up doing the work for them.

Reply to
S Viemeister