Finding a uncommon nut size

My ancient Tyford close coupled ceramic toilet cistern is held down to the pan by two butterfly nuts that screw on to Brass Bolts extending underneath the cistern. Being about forty years old the diameter of the bolts are 'between' the common 5M and 6M size. (i.e. bolt will not go into 5M nut and a 6M nut is too big). Would anyone know what kind of butterfly nut size and type of thread I should be looking for? Also how best to try to get hold of a no longer common sized one. Thanks.

Probaby a UNF size. In Guildford is an excellent shop that sell all sorts of scews & nut in all sorts of threads. But they are probably nowhere near you.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On 20/06/18 09:46, charles wrote:

Messingers still there?
Also Mackays in Cambridge...
And a few others
I assume you mean M5 and M6, so we are looiking for around 5,5mm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Standard_Whitworth
suggests that 7/16" Whitworth is a good place to start and te other possibilitity is UNC. I doubt that UNF would be used on a bog seat!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Thread_Standard
gives #12 UNC as the size.
You could probably ID which it is (UNF/UN/Whitworth) by counting threads per inch and looking at the thread profile. Whitworth is rounded and UNF/C is flat topped.
Hmm. It looks like actualy BSF/UNC/M is more likely than whitworth
Suggest you look here.
https://www.spaldingfasteners.co.uk/unc-brass-wing-nuts/
The Natural Philosopher laid this down on his screen :

They could also be a BA size, which was common for brass.
"The Natural Philosopher" wrote in message wrote:

It won't be 7/16" Whit that's for sure - best part of 12 mm. 5/16" is far more likely
Andrew
I'm sure \i've seen unc unf whit and ba around on adverts quite recently. I think perhaps if it has to be the same, then the first job is to find somebody with a set of thread gauges to see what you are looking at. Brian
--
----- --

I bought my vice from them and possibly my drill stand.
--
Michael Chare

On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 18:43:05 +0100, Michael Chare wrote:

Talking of long established companies, anyone been to Dockerills in Brighton? I bought my first tools there, over 50 years ago. I was recently visiting (my son had a music conference just down the road) and I took the opportunity to buy some new Mole grips and a new pair of Maun side cutters.
It's a family form, and they how now reached the fifth generation!
On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 18:18:33 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

Or: "It's a family firm, and they have now reached the fifth generation"!
It's the lack of sleep (see other thread)

They disappeared a dozen years ago.
One might also ask what became of that fine tool shop in Tottenham Court Road - Buck and Ryan.
--

Jeff

Cathing up, Messingers sold out to Buck & Ryan but closed when tehn lease ran out. The premises were taken over by Cath Kidson, B&R lost their Tottenham Court shop due to rebuilding and moved to Southampton Row. They also had a tiny franche in Selfridges. They vanished about 4 years ago,
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On Wednesday, 20 June 2018 19:24:01 UTC+1, Jeff Layman wrote:

Last time I went there everything in TCR had turned into red light district, no electronics left. Shame.
NT

On Monday (2 days agho) there were a few computer shops and plenty of coffee shops - Red lights not obvious - but it was during the afternoon.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
There is a shop in Lincoln at 5 Csketgate that looks very interesting, although I've never been inside but would definately check it out if I wanted something special.

Terry

Terry Casey wrote:

I spy a lot of Silverline blue on the shelves ...

No, they vanished about 10 years ago, the shop traded under another name - used to be a big firm in Tottenham Court Road (name I've forgotten), but they ceased trading about 4 years ago.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Not sure Unified was very common except in cars and so on. Things like that if UK made were usually either BSF or BSW before metric.
--
*It's a thankless job, but I've got a lot of Karma to burn off

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

BSA finally changed to UNF in 1969, and then promptly went bust ;(
-

+1
--
Cheers,