Fence construction

Hi,

I need to put up some fencing, and need a little advice...

1) I intend to use shiplap (feather edge?) boards. Seems like 150mm is the standard width. How much overlap should I account for when calculating how much i need? I am thinking about 25mm.. suggestions?

2) I have a wooden posts concreted in, and so i need to fit the horizontal rails to which i'll attach the boards. I have noticed that fencing put up by proper contractors use a non-square section.. the top surface slopes, presumable to stop rain sititng on it. I can only find 2"x2" at B&Q, so i'll get it from Jewson. What do I ask for? I dont want to make a tit of myself by describing the section over the phone :-)

3) There is gonna be a lot of nailing to do when putting the boards up. I have a domestic ue nailgun.. fires 40mm nails rather nicely, though they dont have a huge head, they are more like mini brads. What the consensus that this will be fine?

4) Any other tiips welcome :-)

Cheers, Chris

Reply to
Chris

I over lapped mine by 1/2.

go to a timber yard - they will have lots of different types

Only two nails per board, one for each rail. Also don't knock them in fully encase it needs to come down in a few years time. Actully mines got to come down soon and I might put them back up with screws next time.

leave about 12" between the top rail and the top of the cant. So anyone trying to climb over it will break the board off.

Read here

google it.

Reply to
zaax

That should be enough... 1/2" minimum.

"Aris rail" is what you want to ask for.

You would probably want something a bit heavier for a fence. You might just get away of you plant several nails together in a group. Really this is a job for a framing or second fix air or gas nailer - preferably loaded with ring shanked nails.

4) Any other tiips welcome :-)

You can get pre-made galvanised brackets for fixing aris rail to the post - quite quick and easy!

Reply to
John Rumm

Maybe too much, 10 - 15mm will be fine. The bigger the overlap the more boards you will use & the more nails you have to put in.

You can buy 'cant' rails which are rectangular in cross section, but with a sloping top - a Trapezoid IIRC. These rails fit onto the face of the post.

Or you can have arris rails which fit between the posts using arris rail brackets.

No good at all, 18g brad is far too small.

Make up a jig to keep the overlap the same without having to measure every time and use a string line to kep the top of each board in line.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman