Building a shed like a fence

Any reason i should not build a shed in the same way i build a fether edge fence (but with 4 sides a door and a roof)?

Reply to
newsgroups

Assuming you mean with vertical boards, then it is not a good idea as it wont be waterproof. Build with horizontal boards and it will be much better. Still wont be wind proof but depending what you will be doing in the shed, that might not matter. Felt roof obviously on smooth boards/ply/osb

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

If you mean with ready made fence panels, its a quick cheap light way to do it.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Far from ideal,and very leaky and draughty. Have a look at what is available at your local timber yard.

This - albeit American - site gives an idea of some of the sections available:

I would use something like Cove Rustic/Dutch Lap Siding, laid horizontally, for the walls - and T&G, laid vertically, for the door.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Not quite so. I built my shed with vertical boards and it is perfectly waterproof, T&G mind not featheredge.

I do know of a garage type structure built with standard 6'x6' fencing panels for walls, fixed to standard 4"x4" wooden posts sunk into the ground in the usual fencing manner. The guy then reinforced the top with some 4"x2" as a sort of wall plate and added a corrugated plastic roof. It served perfectly as a shelter for his old tractor and stationery engines for many years. The plastic roof blew off after a few years and he replaced it with steel cladding offcuts which lasted much longer. I have not travelled that way lately but next time I do I will look to see if its still there.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike