FAQ: Suggestions for new structure and content

I am thinking of reorganising the FAQ to make it easier to add topics, and to navigate round it. I have put a proposed structure together at

- it's an MS Word file.

It also has an outline of "interesting" topics to give inspiration to anyone thinking of making a contribution.

I would like to know what you think of this layout, and if anything is missing (I'm sure there is!).

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

Google uk.d-i-y archive is at
NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

Why???

Reply to
Rob Morley

Thanks for the erudite contribution, but I'm looking for comments on the content. If you are unable to open the file I'm sure someone with a little computer knowledge can point you to a Word viewer. I would myself but there doesn't seem much point.

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

Google uk.d-i-y archive is at
NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

Well, it's going to remain unread by me then, for various reasons that you may perhaps be able to think of.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Everything takes time to get done, I dareay it'll appear as a html file at some point.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Sigh....

"How to obtain the latest Microsoft Word Viewer"

uk.d-i-y FAQ is at
Google uk.d-i-y archive is at
NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

Seriously, Phil....it wouldn't take much to make a PDF of it....should stop people moaning. It's no good downloading a viewer if they don't have one for your system.

Reply to
Bob Eager

You mean not everyone is running Windows on an Intel chip?

Reply to
Rob Morley

even less aggro to make it a .txt file

RT

Reply to
[news]

I agree....but I assume that there may be a requirement for emphasis, diagrams and stuff.

Personally, I generate non-diagram documents using texinfo - then make HTML and PDF files from the same source! But that's a bit of a learning/software curve...

For other stuff, I print a PostScript file using whatever tools are available (very occasionally powering on the Windows machine if it's a Word file!) and then bang that out as a PDF.

Reply to
Bob Eager

.jpgs .gifs animated .gifs are pretty much universal. don't know if one person could take on such a project but, then again, I could never understand the type of person who 'takes on the faq' what with all the aggro and potential accusation of self inflatory self aggrandisement, iykwim. starting off with a propretary format isn't promising, being sarky about .doc viewers sums that 'faq' type of person up nicely. imo, natch.

and, yes, I have been on the interweb for a very, very long time.

RT

Reply to
[news]

I was referring to .txt files... it's a bit messy to have the diagrams separately.

I wasn't making sarky comments. Just pointing out that the Word Viewer only works on Windows, so it's a bit limited. PDF is pretty well universal.

Maybe...but since you mention it, probably not as long as me. And I'm traceable...you're not.

What's an 'interweb' ???

Reply to
Bob Eager

aye, it is. isn't mixing txt and gfx one of the main benefits of good old HTML ?

I wasn't saying /you/ were :-)

crikey, I logged on at 6 am. you must have pooed the bed, again. (arf)

my ego can handle that. my id isn't bothered.

a modern term. it's something that runs on an interwebulator.

RT

Reply to
[news]

I thought you meant long term...

I meant you can check..

Reply to
Bob Eager

I did. about 10 years. have you no sense of humour ?

/I/ /KNOW/ lol

sheesh, some people....

RT

Reply to
[news]

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Oh, a newbie, then...

Reply to
Bob Eager

I'll take that as a resounding no.

~does tripple rimmer in the general direction of bob earnest ~

RT

Reply to
[news]

Haven't got a PDF-er

It is actually, believe it or not. That was my first thought but I have done it in outliner for very good reasons (yeah, for outlining!) and if I save as text you'll have no indentation and it's a mess. Must admit I was miffed to find that word's txt output does not generate any of the indentation for its outlines. Yep, it comes out with everything hard against the left edge.

I could do a straight word to html save, but have you seen the s**te code that Word creates. It needs a longish session with find'n'replace to indent everything correctly for a text save (and again for every new version), and as I'm rushing to go away for a couple of weeks so I don't have the time. If anyone wants to convert it for me and email it to editor (at) diyfaq (dot) org (dot) uk before friday evening I'll probably have time to post it on the site - but once it's in txt you could post it directly on here anyway.

Apart from that it's a hell of a lot easier to view it and 'play' with it using Words outliner (which is actually very good).

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

Google uk.d-i-y archive is at
NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

Print it to a file via a PostScript printer (generic PostScript) and it's easy to convert to PDF. Email it to me and I'll do it if you like.

The PDF'er is free.

Reply to
Bob Eager