Gas barbecue - what we chose in the end

Well yesterday evening we went out and looked at gas barbecues at B&Q, Makro and Focus.

B&Q had quite a range but none really attracted us and few (if any) were actually properly assembled which didn't help.

Makro only had a couple, the £249 Outback one looked OK but being up on a 'first storey' shelf it was rather difficult to get a proper idea of what it was like.

So, on the way home, we looked in at Focus and their 'Miami' gas barbecue looked pretty close to what we wanted, Four burners, reasonably solid, £199. After debating a while we bought one.

It took a fair while to assemble but was mostly straightforward apart from one slightly dubious area of the instructions. It worked first go, i.e. the gas lit and we cooked some kebabs on it to celebrate.

I'll try and remember to report again on it after we have used it for a while (if anyone is remotely interested).

One thing that felt a bit vague was the 'click on' gas regulator, presumably this is the same on all barbecues and has nothing to do with the barbecue design really so I can't put it as a negative point against the Focus barbecue in particular. It just didn't feel convincing enough to be a good, safe, gastight connection to the gas bottle though it seems to function OK. I'd be much happier with a screw on connection like I'm used to from the past.

Reply to
usenet

FOUR burners?

There's posh!

You should know by now that you only consult the instructions when all else fails. That's the polite way of putting it.

Oh yes. When's the party?

Do you mean that you have to have a dedicated cylinder?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

What do you mean by a "dedicated cylinder"? We don't use a propane bottle anywhere else so it's only for the barbecue anyway.

Reply to
usenet

There was one model of gas barbecue which Spouse wouldn't consider because it could only be used with Calor Gas (I think, but it could have been another type) which was expensive and the fittings weren't compatible with other cylinders.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

On 26 Apr 2005 10:14:06 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk squeezed out the following:

I would be. We never use our cheapo gas BBQ because it doesn't generate enough heat to get the lava really hot. I like the principle, though.

Reply to
Colin Irvine

Hah - trivia, the (American) barbecues they have in Costco start at three dozen burners and about GBP150. Mind you that is as nothing compared with a barbecue I once lit (a quite inadequate expression for the result which was to send a few cwt of charcoal and several eyelashes into near earth orbit) with 10 gallons of AVPIN (Iso-propyl nitrate) I thought it was AVTUR - honest.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Fark ! You've just scared George Goble

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Pass the babel fish ...

Will you be at Cressing?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

replying to usenet, Mr. BBQ wrote: I've still got my Miami. Had it since 2004. ....13 years plus. Have you still got yours? I'm wondering if you can get replacement burners to fit it?? Mine are still ok, but one day, they might give up the ghost.

Reply to
Mr. BBQ

So, its all round to his place for the BBQ :oÞ

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

And who is Mr or Mrs Newsnet?

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

This one might (not) be popular with this group :)

Theo

replying to Harry Bloomfield, Mr. BBQ wrote: Here's my barbecue. Actually it's from the Summer of 2003....14 years of service. I've just added two utensil racks on each side, plus 3 thermometers and a bottle opener!

Mr. BBQ

replying to Mr. BBQ, MrBBQ wrote: Here is my modified Miami barbecue from the now defunct Focus. This Barry is 14 years old now and still going strong. I have added 3 thermometers on the hood. Took me ages to drill as the hood is enamelled. Added cutlery rails with hooks and bottle openers. This cost £199 in 2003. I've checked on replacement burners. One would need to import them in from the States. Four burners would cost £120!!!!!. If the old burners go, I might convert it to a charcoal bar by!

MrBBQ

This might assist you with posting to a newsgroup, albeit through a website:

- If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just enough text of the original to give a context.

Reply to
Fredxxx