Fantasy tool/DIY Christmas...

Adam's videos of his neighbours would be even more interesting if he had wall penetrating radar.

A laser cutter would be fun but I'd probably end up with a house looking like it was owned by a fretsaw fetishist with fret-work in everything.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

My best pliers were found on a rural footpath years ago. Much better quality than the other ones I had before. Still bemused by what circumstances led to them being about a mile from the nearest road.

Reply to
Steve Firth

In message , Steve Firth writes

Commonly carried by ramblers in case some errant land owner has erected a fence discouraging trespass:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

If that's the case, I'm glad that I have them. It's a credible explanation these are stamped "piano wire" and have very good cutters that will go through fence wire easily. I used them when I ran a couple of kilometres of fencing around a field last summer.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The lot. Then PP to build whatever I like, with BR exemption. I'm sure I could do far better for much less.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I've found many tools on the road/verge, including a ring spanner that was too big to go in the large saddlebag diagonally

Next door had a double ladder leant neatly against the inside of their inner fence, some way from the road. To get it through two gates and put down, in the middle of the night sometime, without waking the dogs...! Never did find out whose it was.

Reply to
PeterC

Hmmm.... All mine (Epilog 36EXT) seems to do is to eat me out of house and home. Two grand for a fresh fill of CO2?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I've never really seen the point in these Ti hammers, but I do like my huge= Vaughan framing hammer (30 quid, Axminster). If you are doing any large sc= ale nailing, it's money well spent.

(But attach a lanyard to the handle)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

One of those 3D printers would be good.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes, tempting thought. What would you build and what you do differently?

Reply to
Nige Danton

Passed a monkey wrench the other day. Did think about going back and picking it up, obviously it's a hazard to traffic and you must try to be good.

But then I already have one about that size.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Something like the Kennington water tower above ground, and a nuclear bunker - cum - workshop and museum below.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

2 tonne digger, skip loader, large jcb, a 6ft square, electric/hydraulic fold away flat platform for getting on an off rooves, top of the range petrol husqy chainsaw and lifetime supply of chains, electric/hydraulic logsplitter, stumpgrinder, vibrating 1t roller, and this is just off the top of my head, if I had time to make a list, I'm sure I could easily get it past £1m
Reply to
Phil L

A biggish detached house with large shed. I've a long list of what I'd do different, starting with shredded scrap insulation & papercrete as insulation, and finishing with a roof structure of green timber sawn on site.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Good grief. Lay off the Irn Bru.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Ooh, easy...

A Thiel 158 milling machine with all the tooling, carving metal in straight lines for the use of; A Holbrook Model H No.17 lathe (or a Holbrook Marquis...) to complement the Model C No.13, making metal round for the use of; A decent (not Chinese!) 300 Amp AC/DC inverter TIG welder, water cooler and magic everlasting argon bottle, sticking metal together etc. Power hacksaw and vertical bandsaw, cutting bits of metal off and cutting it apart again...; Surface grinder.

Several hundred yards of steel and aluminium stock, reduction to swarf for the use of.

Importantly - a secure, warm 30 x 50 shed to put it all in, with 3-phase power to run everything.

Even More Importantly - somewhere with room for the shed!

I'd need a big chimney, I think? Might be easiest with an inverse chimney (topologically unfolded with the flue on the outside)...

Dave H. (the other one)

Reply to
news.virginmedia.com

Festool Domino Jointer. I keep trying to justify it on the basis that building some built-in wardrobes myself I'll save a couple of grand compared to getting someone in to do it, however since I would never consider getting someone in to do it in the first place the saving isn't real and I'll just have to manage with my cheap biscuit jointer. Also tried to justify it on the basis that I could sell it on for a good price once the wardrobes are built, however once I had it in my hands I know I would never be able to part with such a beautiful machine, so that one doesn't work either.

Reply to
pcb1962

Really good tools are a pleasure in themselves, rather like really good components (the difference between working on, say, Campag hubs and el cheapo ones). Anyway, here goes for my wish: the knowledge, skills and ability to tackle any job - and the money to buy the gear needed.

Reply to
PeterC

Perhaps you should consider the Domino XL....

Now go by the Domino on the grounds that its way cheaper than the XL, and hence you have saved loads! ;-))

Reply to
John Rumm

I would like to have my own Petromax lamp:

my childhood around 1950, my community had no electricity. We had paraffin lamps, but in order to save money we often sat in the dark around the kitchen stove. A stream of light came from its door. If I placed my books in that stream, I could lay on the floor reading.

An evening after Xmas we all gathered in the school to celebrate the big Xmas feast. There was a lot of good food, walking and singing around the Xmas three and some silly talk about Jesus. Someone with a job and an income brought a Petromax lamp; an amazing tool! I will never forget its massive flood of white light.

Today I can buy a new Petromax lamp from China, but I would prefer to get a used one for free. When I tell that it is possible that its mantle is made from thorium, someone with very strong radio phobia may be willing to give it away for free:

The modern gas mantle was one of the many inventions of Carl Auer von

Reply to
Jo Stein