Family Tree

Not the typical question for this forum but I thought I'd give it a try:-

Some years ago (circa 10) I had a Family Tree SW package that came with my PC at the time. It ran on Windows 1998 but I can't remember the name. I still have all the data files it created and they have a .006 extension. i.e BAPTEMES.006, BENEDICT.006, .......... MARIAGES.006

I'm trying to find a new SW application that will let me inport this data. Does anyone have any information that would be of use ?

thanks Andy

Reply to
ac1951

For software, you could try:

Does everything that I have needed so far. Well supported. British!

It is possible that renaming the files you have to have an extension of

*.ged would allow you to open them in many packages. Obviously, make sure they are backed up before even considering trying this out. No guarantee.

Otherwise, how about opening them using Notepad or "Recover text from any file" in Word and seeing if there is anything to help identify the format?

Reply to
Rod

You could try downloading the free Personal Ancestral File from

It may have an import facilty for those files.

For future compatibility, use gedcom format.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Well, the site I use for unknown file extensions,

has it as a US NOAA / US Army Corps of Engineers file
out for friendly fire!!!

John

Reply to
John

Maybe google for "zip freeware"? It looks like .006 is a compressed archive.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

It's GSP Family Tree. My Dad uses it, and it runs fine on XP so if you can get hold of a copy (probably still on sale somewhere) it should work. You'd need to import the data by copying it over the top of those files in the app (I think).

Not sure if the extensions were all .006 on his system though - I thought there were some with other numbers.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Williams

Try asking in news:soc.genealogy.britain or news:soc.genealogy.computing

Reply to
SJP

I doubt it at that age of file (I think you're actually referring to a RAR file, whose format changed to allow this as a file extension around 3 years ago)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Brilliant many thanks Neil.... Called some mates and one had a copy,, just loaded and you're right it does run on XP and I've recovered the data. Now need to find out ghow to export in gedcpm format ..

thanks again (just knew someone on this forum would have the answer :-) Andy

Reply to
ac1951