Felling one large cherry tree?

I'm looking for some information from anyone who is located in western Pennsylvania. I have one large cherry tree (i.e., about 36 dbh) located on some property I own in Venango County, PA (near Oil City and Franklin) that I would like to have cut down and milled. I've contacted several hardwood mills in the area and none of them will mobilize for just one tree. They're all more than willing to selective cut the entire 20 acres for 1500 bucks though :(

If anyone is aware of an individual or company with a portable mill that would cut one tree please let me know.

I would like to keep the wood for my own use but I'm willing to work out some kind of arrangement for anyone who can do this job (e.g., they keep some of the wood and I'll pay the difference in cash).

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
Dave

Contact Woodmizer, they will give you a list of people in your area with a portable mill.

(The other)Mike G.

Reply to
Mike

Perhaps

it hasn't got brownheart.

Reply to
George

In article , snipped-for-privacy@mackinengineering.com (Dave) wrote: [snip]

Wood-Mizer

or 1.800.553.0182) can put you in touch with owners of their mills in your area.

Doug Miller

Dave:

Call Wood-Mizer out of Indianapolis In and see if they have an owner of their portable mill in your area. I know Wood Mizer keeps an owner record and I bet you that there is one in your area. Good Luck, Mike from American Sycamore

Reply to
Mike at American Sycamore

George wrote:>

Okay, what's "brownheart"? Some kinda fungus or mold? Tom Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

I've been there, I had 10 acres of Hickory and Oak, everyone would tell me about this person or that person and how much it was worth. At the end of the day, when you contact someone, it was the same story, they would come take it off your hands for free if there is enough of it. A friend bought a portable mill that ran off a chainsaw engine and we milled and split the amount of wood between us. It does take some time/patience to dry, join and plane the lumber but the fact that you can point to something and say that came from my back yard is a good feeling. I'd love to tell you about all of the wonderful things that were made with my portion, but you'll have to ask my EX father-in-law...what?..me..bitter?..lol

Reply to
Dan Baker

You might also ask around or make a call to a grain elevator or farmers co-op or other places where farmers hang out...TSC stores come to mind. Hope this helps. Joe

Reply to
KB8QLR

Cherry resists most common fungi, but often succumbs to a variety of white rot that can render the wood unusable, It shows as darker than the normal color, and can range from firm but ugly to crumbling.

Reply to
George