Felling a Large tree: Costs.

Hello. I am new round here. I have a fairly small garden (aroun

60feet).My Silver Birch is now around 8metres high and it's thirst fo water has been creating cracks in my neighbour's wall which stand 2feet from it. The coucil have given me permission to have it felled It will have to be done bit by bit ,of course. Does anyone have a ver rough idea of how much an average Insured tree-feller might charge fo this type of work? Unfortunately, I have no idea at all. Here's hopin and thanks

-- Mildew

Reply to
Mildew

About 12 months ago I had a large Ash tree removed from the bottom o my garden,it was a bit of a monster. But it only took two men one day One cutting and the other removing and burning the branches.The cos including cleaning up the garden came to £150.00.considering the siz of the tree i was more than happy

-- grimmjimm

Reply to
grimmjimm

Variables include: tree size (diameter of trunk and spread of crown as well as height) tree condition (healthy/safe to climb or decaying and scary?) obstacles (glass greenhouse? immoveable 18th century stone carvings? terra cotta tile roof?) access (drop branches into the chipper, or snake individual armloads through seven gates up a 30 degree slope?)

It's impossible to offer a price without seeing the site. It sounds fairly small and simple, and might be a half-day job if you can find an arborist willing to break a day in half. In TX, I'd want at least $300 to $400 for such a job on average, but I have no idea what the going rate is for similar in UK. An easy flopper might go cheaper, and a real pain might cost more.

Treedweller

Here in California (Sacramento), prices can vary significantly. I strongly suggest getting several bids.

I'm envious of the prices mentioned by the other posters from Texas, etc. I just had mistletoe removed from a couple of trees a few months ago, and it was $325.00. Tree removal for a mature average sized tree runs anywhere from $600 - $1000+. depending on the bid!

About 4 years ago, I had three very tall palm trees taken out of my yard. . .I thought I got a bargain @ $1,200. for the removal. However, the workers weren't reliable. They started the job, left it, came back in 2 weeks, etc. I was a basket case, when the job was completed. But the next nearest bid was double the $1,200. for the three trees.

Tree removal, especially if they pose a danger during removal of hitting your house, or that of a neighbors, power lines, or any other structure, automobiles, etc. need to be handled by licensed, insured and bonded individuals. You don't want something catastrophic happening during the process, that no one is going to be able/or be willing to take responsibility for.

Myrl Jeffcoat

Myrl Jeffcoat

Many thanks for that, Grimmjimm. That is not a bad as I expected. I use Logs in winter so I will keep them

-- Mildew

Reply to
Mildew

Mildew

Its hard to determine with out an examination. Many variables must be included in the price. Are you keeping the chips - wood? Please note that fresh chips should not be used for about a year until the parenchyma cell contents die. Than they are fine if applied "correctly".

Without seeing the tree. I would bid $1000.00. There is no way I would except the job without seeing the tree first.

Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr. Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!

fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss. Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that will give them understanding.

Reply to
John A. Keslick, Jr.

who make mandates regarding forest health and are ignorant to tree biology need to be stopped. Example Senator Rick Santorum from PA (USA) would not even define his definition of a forest in writing let along does he have the ability to make sound decisions on trees and their associates. The only reason people such as Santorum get away with this bizarre behavior is that no body stops him! Would you allow him to make decisions on your trees and associates at your house? Would you go to a doctor who flunked atomy??? We need premed when it comes to making decisions such as mandate on forest health. In fact the goal of the USFS in the Allegheny National Forest (tree farm) is to increase the cut from 20.7 Million Board Feet too 56.3 MBF. Like they were not cutting enough wood out all ready. They only problem they claim to have is getting the wood out fast enough?

Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr. Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!

fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss. Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that will give them understanding.

Reply to
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Well, remember, this tree is described as 8 meters tall--assuming normal growth, that's probably less than a foot in diameter. Not that big a job. I've done many removals that cost well above $600, and have bid them as high as $2000-3000. I usually hear back that "someone" has agreed to do it for a few hundred bucks, which makes me shudder with fear, but maybe they get lucky, who knows?

Treedweller