Large Garden Window over Small Bathroom Window

Bath window is only 16-inches wide and has a vent pipe and probably electrical in the wall. Originally was going to replace the window with another one like it but then the lovely Miseries put her 2 scents in and brought up a garden window. That's fine but it will be awfully small.

What do you think about just removing the existing window and installing a large garden window outside?

Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney" wrote in message news:- snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com... Bath window is only 16-inches wide and has a vent pipe and probably electrical in the wall. Originally was going to replace the window with another one like it but then the lovely Miseries put her 2 scents in and brought up a garden window. That's fine but it will be awfully small.

What do you think about just removing the existing window and installing a large garden window outside?

PS - Then I could put a back on it and seal it well against the window frame, like this...

Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

I had to look at the picture to see what you meant. I've never in my life ever seen such a construct, not imagined such a thing.

I cannot see any 'pro'. 'Con's:

- More glass to break, clean, lose heat.

- Glass angled to break due to falling objects. (Hail, branches.)

- In the way of ladder when cleaning gutter, painting, etc.

- In the way if you need to dig close to house. (Bathroom drain.)

- In the way cutting grass, raking leaves, etc.

- Damage to house during install. (Ref: in-wall vent pipe & wires.)

- Damage to house if it works loose.

- Looks ugly from outside.

- Dangerous manouver in slippery tub for view better than current.

Reply to
Mike Duffy

They're pretty common in my neighborhood. When I had my house re-windowed we considered one for the kitchen window (wife), but it cost twice as much than the other windows, so she decided against it. I think they look fine, and if they're good quality and properly installed the only con is thermal transfer. They are called "garden" windows because they are excellent for growing plants - even in the winter.

Reply to
Vic Smith

We have one in the kitchen, my wife has several plants and we also grow some herbs in it. No gutters or anything to paint in the area, I am 6'5" and can almost walk under it. No different to install vs a standard window, and my neighbour actually likes it, seeing our plants in the window, when she looks out hers.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

It is a little small at 16" but it may make the room look a bit larger since it extends out. One advantage though, you can put plants in it and the plant will produce some oxygen to replace the methane gas you leave in there.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

trical in the wall. Originally was going to replace the window with anothe r one like it but then the lovely Miseries put her 2 scents in and brought up a garden window. That's fine but it will be awfully small.

a large garden window outside?

Note the subject line and the pictures.

The existing window is 16? but the garden window is larger. Only th e opening is 16?.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Your install may have been no different vs. a standard window, but that wouldn't be the case in Snuffy's situation. He is planning on using a garden window that is bigger than the existing window. i.e. it will mounted (somehow) to the exterior wall, not mounted in the window's RO.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

in message news:- snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com...

rical in the wall. Originally was going to replace the window with another one like it but then the lovely Miseries put her 2 scents in and brought u p a garden window. That's fine but it will be awfully small.

a large garden window outside?

ame, like this...

It seems like an interesting idea but I would imagine that you might have w arranty issues due to a non-standard installation. Not that that's a show-stopper as long as you accept that upfront.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You are right, I missed the over an existing window part, ours was made to fit the existing RO.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

The first question that comes to mind is what is the purpose of this new garden window going to be? I can see putting one in that's the same size as the existing window, but I don't see the added benefit of having one hung on the outside that's larger. You can't easily get to the area to the left and right, it's going to be harder to clean the windows. I'd go with either one that fits or one that fits an enlarged opening.

Reply to
trader_4

ummm...a garden, perhaps?

I'm not seeing the connection between the window's purpose and the cleanabililty of the area to the left and right.

I'm not saying you're not justified in saying that, just that cleaning that area is going to be hard regardless of the purpose.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Farts actually have little methane in them...(what follows is knowledge you probably have little use for, but....)

A typical fart is made of:

59% nitrogen 21% hydrogen 9% carbon dioxide 7% methane 4% oxygen 1% hydrogen sulfide

A fart is so pungent that people can smell them at levels of 1 part in 100 million. (No shit!)

A study has proven that, when men and woman have eaten exact the same food, woman have more concentrated gas than men. This was also mentioned as a greater odor intensity. (I suspected as much)

Reply to
Shate Tree Guy

Well, maybe. But somebody might want one for more light. One person's idea of a garden is 3 potted plants, in which case, do you need a bit window? Another person might think they are going to grow vegetables there. IDK.

My point was that with a larger window hung on outside, it's going to be harder to clean the side areas than if the window is a normal type, with the opening the size of the garden window. And that gets back to what you're going to do with it, how big does it really need to be for that, and what would you put into those side areas where you can't see it from inside?

Reply to
trader_4

re: "and what would you put into those side areas where you can't see it from inside"

Things that you want to see (or want others to see) from the outside?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Which could be fine, if that's the purpose of this expansion. But if it's not, or the window is on a side where no one sees it, which wouldn't be unusual for a bath window, then those side areas aren't going to serve that purpose. Just figure out what it's supposed to do, that's all I'm suggesting. And if the bath doesn't have a fan, factor in how it's going to open to get needed airflow too.

Reply to
trader_4

I believe to top of most of these windows opens, I know mine does. Mine has a crank on it, couple turns and the heat flies right out of it.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

In an earlier post you noted that you "missed the over an existing window part". I guess when you also missed the part of the images that show how Snuffy's proposed windows open.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I knew the term, have the window, so did not examine the picture thoroughly for details.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

but that wouldn't be the case

that is bigger than the

exterior wall, not mounted in the

vegetables there.

I ain't worried about that. She'll fill it up with something that's for sure. If not, it would be a great place to stash a few extra rolls of bathroom tissue, copies of Field and Stream, Popular Mechanics, etc.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney