fake bomb detector - how are people so stupid ?

Gordon Henderson posted

That only says that delegates to a meeting of the BMA- the doctors' trade union - supported a motion asserting that the NHS should not fund homeopathic medicine. Not the same thing.

Reply to
Big Les Wade

The floor is concrete.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Dowsing works. I have seen it done and I (though sceptical) can do it myself. Most people can, (even if they don't believe in it)

And no, I have no explanation.

Reply to
harry

That article is 2 years old, and the NHS Homeopathic Hospitals are still open;

Huge

Did you check it's completely flat?

Reply to
GB

It may not be, but the interesting point here was that believe in it or not dowsing did seem to work for some people *including* sceptics. I think it is somehow detecting disturbed ground but I would be hard pushed to prove it. These days they use ground penetrating radar.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

and how could James McCormick be so stupid as to think he'd get away with it for ever, that relatives of someone killed by a bomb wouldnt be very angry with him and track him down for revenge? [g]

Reply to
george - dicegeorge

Well, there's that Randi challenge...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Are you saying manual manipulation is never an appropriate therapy?

Reply to
Graham.

I think the landlord at my local is a practicing homeopath.

Reply to
Graham.

One swallow does not a sumer make

gone.html

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Does "manual manipulation" include w*nking?

I'm saying that a lot of chiropractitioners are just as bad as homeopaths and that chiropractic can actually be dangerous. There's plenty of info about it.

On a related note the defamation bill has been agreed by parliament. This would have stopped the British Chiropractic Association in their tracks when they tred to sue Simon Singh.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

A recent news item says that another company now in administration in which people invested pension money was run by a twice-bankrupt former double glazing salesman.

But I doubt that the investors knew that, or could have found out.

Could Wikidata evolve into something which would simplify that sort of investigation?

Maybe the 'bomb detector' was sold by what appeared to be a reputable company. There's a tendency to believe in such.

Until events completely reversed my views, I generally assumed that banks were honest and responsible, that the NHS would look after you, that police wouldn't break the law, that the MOD was about defence, that letting agencies would look after your property, that BT wouldn't hand your details to a collection agency over a disputed 70.00 bill, that insurance companies wouldn't try to bully you out of a claim, that government wouldn't invent stories about mass destruction or assassinate Brazilian electricians, that the press would be truthful, that utility company charges would be tied to the pound rather than the dollar, that Ministers wouldn't line their own pockets , that .........

Reply to
Windmill

Reminds me of the young guy, a drinking buddy of a friend (though time seems to have edited some people's memories so that they think he was in fact a friend of mine; is that what they think of me?) who liked to say "Thank God I'm pure!"

Reply to
Windmill

I'm sure that an attempt to prove that people can make an accurate judgement about others just by looking at their faces would fail. I'm also sure that such a judgement can sometimes be accurate. I doubt if you could ever fully prove it, though. Apart from anything else, the owner of the face might not be fully aware of how his subconcious was behaving/reacting.

Allegedly-lower animals can do some amazing things; pigeons home, birds and whales migrate thousands of miles. Cuckoos do that despite having no contact with their parents after they hatch; somehow it's hard-coded in their brains. Salmon return to the river to spawn. And even insects (Monarch butterfies of all things) can migrate thousands of miles.

It would hardly be surprising if something as evolutionarily useful as an ability to find water lay dormant in some human brains. People say there's no way it could work, but someone once proved that bumble bees can't fly. It depends on your knowledge and assumptions.

I'm an agnostic on the subject.

Reply to
Windmill

If I go to a cash machine, normally there's no difficulty in entering the PIN (I remember about half a dozen; the only difficult ones are two which are quite similar). But if I have to go into a bank and speak to a cashier, generally I can't remember the PIN when asked to enter it at the counter.

I fail under controlled conditions.

Reply to
Windmill

He will be going to jail, but even without the presence of relatives his chances of coming out again may not be very good. (Other than feet-first).

Reply to
Windmill

Let's hope his wife isn't a practising paediatrician.

Reply to
Windmill

And there was that homeopathic product where the adult dose was two tablets, children one tablet. Someone pointed out surely the child dose should be four tablets.

Reply to
newshound

Having used explosive detectors and worn Bullet Proof vests ... I didn't get to check them. They were just issued to use.

This sort of thing is tested at procurement level not user.

The explosives detector we used had a calibration cert. ... where you were relying on Armoury Tech to have done the job.

Reply to
Rick Hughes