Failed Screwfix halogens

On 26th December I bougt six of these Screwfix GZ10 halogen Bulkbs altho' the ones I got did not have the ceramic part at the rear .

?id=17346&ts=39561One of the bulbs was dud when I got it as I tested them all and was replaced by Screwfix.

Tonight one of the new ones has failed( I wrote the date on the bulb when putting it in ) so I'll be asking Screwfix for a replacement.

I noticed that Homebase had a set of 6 for £12 recently -They DID have the ceramic part-What difference does that make -anyone know ??

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

The caveat "Exact products may vary from that shown." protects them from complaints in that field!

Writing the date on the bulbs is tempting fate - I bought some new Osram CFLs a few weeks ago, and wrote the date on them as I installed them. within a week the children had broken one of them while throwing a ball around - which they've been doing regularly and didn't break any before :-S

AFAIK the ceramic part is designed to keep the heat generated by the bulb away from the fitting - at least minimise it...

Reply to
Abdullah Eyles

I bought a batch of Screwfix halogens a couple of years ago for SWMBO's sexy new kitchen downlighters - admittedly mine were 12V though - and they were unadulterated crap. They would fail within weeks; I'd come down in the morning and find the glass fronts had dropped out and smashed on the floor. Whinged to Screwfix and got replacements, but they were just the same. So bought some B&Q ones (physically identical, same wattage but a lot dearer) and two years later the same ones are still going strong.

I'm a big fan of Screwfix but wouldn't touch their halogens again with a bargepole.

David

Reply to
Lobster