What's the best way to unblock shower wastepipe and keep it clear

I guess this must be a fairly common problem.

I have a shower and the waste pipe starts under the shower tray and makes its way around the edge of the en-suite batheroom to the waste pipe. This means the gradient is only a few centimetres over a length of about 3 metres (with a coulpe of 90 degree turns).

Our first shower lasted many years before the waste started to block, but this one has been in less than a year and the water is already beginning to slow creating a stagnant smell. It not blocked but there is obviously an obstruction is starting to develop.

For the most part the waste pipe is inaccessible as it has been boxed in.

I was wondering if there are any great products or tools out there for cleaning out the waste and keeping it that way - I'm assume an auger will have a difficult time navigating the tight bends.

My wife bought some liquid 'unblocker' from the supermarket. I have put that down but not hopeful as I can't imagine why it won't just run down into the drains before it can do any good.

Thanks for the help.

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Heather

I have a similar problem with the drain in a ground-floor bathroom in that it begins to block every 3 or 4 months due to being mostly horizontal over its 3 metre run. I just poor caustic soda solution down the bath and sink plugholes, leave it for a few hours, then apply alternating pressure and suction on the bath plug hole with a sink plunger. That has always worked for me.

Reply to
DIY

=================================== One of these, but buy from B & Q if you've got a local:

?id=11325&ts=38444 If you don't want the expense, buy a length of curtain wire (type used for net curtains) and fit a small hook on the end. Hang on to it in use or you might lose it.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Had a similar problem with a bathroom sink - gunge round the bend (the story of my life!) - and didn't find anything chemical to really fix it for any length of time.

In the end used Powerplumber, which I got at B&Q. It uses a quick (1 sec) aerosol blast of pressurised air to clear the pipe - no chemicals and doesn't harm plumbing.

Did the trick, and I haven't had to use it again - this was over a year ago. It's about £7 and can be used several times.

Barb

"Nigel Heather the-heathers.co.uk>" I guess this must be a fairly common problem.

Reply to
Barb

When we fitted a whole house water softener our main shower stopped blocking up and I put away the auger drain unblocker that lived permanently in the shower room as it was no longer needed. I suspect the soft water generates less "scum" which is the cause of the blockages.

Reply to
Ian_m

?id=11325&ts=38444>

Why do you suggest buying from B&Q - is it just to save on P&P or is there some other reason.

I ask because I have a local ScrewFix and B&Q stores so P&P isn't an issue for me.

Cheers,

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Heather