Whats the best way to fit shower tray

Hi, Just received a shower tray (Although damaged) from Plumbworld. and was a bit baffled as to how I should fit the shower tray. The shower tray is

I was expecting it to come with feet or something similar because how am I suppose to run the waste pipe under the tray the tray is being fitted into an alcove so only one side is shown, is it common practice to build a frame to place the tray on to give access under for the waste trap. Thanks sorry if this is confusing as I've confused myself :S DD

Reply to
Derek Doormer

You should definitely have had some instructions (probably missing as part of the 'damaged' status?) as these beasts are quite fussy about how they are installed, and you'll invalidate the warranty if it's not done to the letter. Eg, they normally need to be installed on a bed of stiff mortar to avoid any stress points underneath.

Try googling for this under uk.d-i-y - there's lot's of useful discussions about it. I fitted one myself recently and found all I needed to know here.

I built mine in an alcove, and yes, sat it on a plinth.

David

Reply to
Lobster

You should definitely have had some instructions (probably missing as part of the 'damaged' status?) as these beasts are quite fussy about how they are installed, and you'll invalidate the warranty if it's not done to the letter. Eg, they normally need to be installed on a bed of stiff mortar to avoid any stress points underneath.

Try googling for this under uk.d-i-y - there's lot's of useful discussions about it. I fitted one myself recently and found all I needed to know here.

I built mine in an alcove, and yes, sat it on a plinth.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Reply to
Derek Doormer

Derek Doormer wrote: > Found the instructions, I wasn't opening it as its going back to plumbworld. > I still have a question, when I attach a shallow trap and lower it onto the > mortar bed how can I attach the outflow pipe to it as there is only a tiny > access hole in a solid wall!

Not sure what you mean about the access hole.

The way I did it (in brief) was build a 4-5" plinth - 0.75" WBP ply sitting on 4 5" joists, all rigidly screwed down, with a hole (~3" diameter?) in the ply immediately below the plughole. Assembled everything 'dry', attaching the shallow trap *afterwards*, ie below the plywood base.

One key bit of info, which you'll find useful as you have the same alcove set up as me... I couldn't figure out how to lower the heavy tray vertically downwards onto the mortar bed without disturbing it and/or giving myself a hernia. The solution, courtesy of s kind soul on uk.d-i-y is to lay 0.5" slats across the plywood, apply the mortar flush with the slats, lower the tray (at an angle, akin to closing a trapdoor) onto the slats, then when happy, withdraw the slats leaving the tray supported by the mortar. Google for more details!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Reply to
Derek Doormer

I usually fit the trap to the pipework and arrange for it to sit in the right place that when I set the tray I can then screw the waste grating into the trap in situ. Having applied suitable sealants to the various bits first, of course.

Reply to
John Stumbles

You have the choice of building a plinth, or more commonly, you cut a big hole in the floorboards and put the trap and waste pipework under there, hoping the joist direction leads the waste in the right direction.

The other issue is how to bed the tray down. This would depend on the construction of the tray and the floor/plinth, but often involves laying on a bed of mortar to spread the load and reduce cracking.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle