Extreme Mini Fabrication (car)

I've never seen any mention here of Project Binky:

A thouroughly well documented and onging project to make a 4WD Mini (the classic "Issigonis" type with a transplanted Toyota drivetrain).

If you have ever tried welding AND/OR ever owned an old Mini then this is a must see.

I had 6 Minis in my time and when I flogged the last one I vowed never again.

Reply to
Vortex11

Thanks for the heads up. I'm often amazed by what other folk are capable of. Excellent production too.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Years ago (1970s?) I saw a mini with two complete mini engine/drive systems front and rear. ISTR the rear one was an automatic. The car was an estate so enclosing the rear engime. Not much room for passengers. So nothing new.

Also you can buy DIY plug in hybrid conversion kits. Saw one recently. It was a Ford Ka. The none driven wheels are substituted by in hub electric motor wheels leaving the petrol bit as standard. Gets round all the complex drive system normally needed. So again nothing new.

Reply to
harryagain

They called it the 'Twini' I believe.

There's a good book called "The Mini Story" which covers practically every variant, and the design issues, such as why they put the engine THT way round despite having to have an extra cog to get the rotation right.

Hard book to find (I have one somewhere) and there are a couple of much newer imitations (at least, I think they're different). You want one published before 1980 at least.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Ah, here we are. "The Mini Story", by Laurence Pomeroy. 1964!!!

Reply to
Bob Eager

They basically swapped carb icing for a soggy distributor. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Exactly. But that was easier to fix.

Reply to